quiltmom

Gluten Sensitive Diagnosed With Stool Specimen

Rate this topic

I am new here and am trying to make sense of the whole gluten free world.

My doctor diagnosed me with gluten senstivity by sending in a stool specimen. It came back with a high reading. Normal range was 10 my result was 111. Is this a reliable test? do I need a blood test?

thank you

quiltmom

My doctor diagnosed me with gluten senstivity by sending in a stool specimen. It came back with a high reading. Normal range was 10 my result was 111. Is this a reliable test? do I need a blood test?

thank you

quiltmom

I just wondered if anyone had any expeirence with the stool specimen diagnosis for gluten?

Sue

thank you

quiltmom

Find out what the high reading was. Stool anti-gliadin is not a valid diagnostic test for celiac. It may indicate that you're gluten intolerant but you'd have to try the diet to be sure. If you have TTG in your stool it's more likely you're celiac but you could also have Crohn's or microscopic colitis. You should probably ask for a biopsy if you have stool TTG.

The valid diagnostic testing is blood anti-deamidated gliadin peptide (DGP), anti-TTG, or anti-EMA and you must be eating gluten to get a result. EMA and DGP are very specific for celiac; TTG shows autoimmunity but it's not always celiac. DGP is the most sensitive so get that one if it's at all possible.

The problem with stool tests is false positives; the problem with blood tests is false negatives.