Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 weeks ago. This is my first time posting and I am so glad to have found this support group! I have been gluten free for 6 weeks. I have tried to be very careful but I know I have made mistakes since it is a learning process and my husband and daughter do not eat gluten free. I am wondering what other people's experiences with anxiety have been. It has been awful and does not seem to be getting any better. I do not have anything in particular to be anxious about but I wake up in a panic and my heart starts racing and continues to do so for most of the day. I had some anxiety/depression leading up to my diagnosis but it seems to have gotten worse after going gluten free. I also think that months of strange, scary symptoms (started having symptoms in Jan 2011) have contributed to my anxiety b/c I am so worried about my health and generally do not feel well. I also have Hashimoto's and I am taking Armour. I am taking lots of supplements--Vit D, sublingual B-12, fish oil along with multivitamins and also Stabilium and GABA to help with the anxiety. I really do not want to have to take anti-anxiety meds. Has anyone else taken GABA or Stabilium or other natural supplements to help with mental issues? Could this anxiety be a result of CC now that my body is more sensitive to gluten? I know that everyone's recovery process is different but how long will these mental issues last?

talk to your doctor about adjusting your dose of your thyroid meds. It sounds like you may be on too high a dose and it's kicked your thyroid into hyper, which will make you feel anxious and panicky and will make your heart race with little to no exertion.

And check with the pharmacist to make sure your meds are gltuen free. I think I recall someone here finding out that her pharmacy had changed suppliers and her new thyroid meds had wheat starch in them!

exercise is the best natural cure for anxiety & depression. even going on a ten minute walk will lessen it. A Lavender bubble bath will also help and even ask your significant other to give you a back massage or foot massage. Mine does that and it makes such a difference! Anxiety disorders run in my family so even without this disease im still having panic attacks. Horrible stuff :/