Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Sines

Low Stomach Acid

I can take betain HCl with the enzymes without feeling any burning at all -- 600 mg with large meals, 300 mg (cut in half) with smaller ones/snacks. But every time I've tried to take a betaine HCl tablet by itself, my stomach has a burning sensation in it. kind of like how your mouth feels when you eat peppermints.

I wonder if this means I need enzymes and not HCl? ??

I have this problem of, once things start getting better I start overeating and forgetting all my elimination diet rules... I think I am suffering from a very spicy meal I ate on Friday with all kinds of ingredients I've been avoiding for forever, along with a large amount of sugary peanut butter that I ate today for lunch. I took two betaine HCl tablets with the PB and my stomach is kinda burning. took antacids with peppermint and now I can't tell what is heartburn and what is the peppermint.

my stomach is so weird.

I just wanted to mention possible problems with peppermint. Peppermint relaxes the GI tract muscles, so if you take it every day it could contribute to GERD by letting acid into the esophagus. So it is not something you should take every day but only when you need it. It does help get gas out of the stomach though.

I was reading a lot more online about betaine. One mentioned the burning would be very light and almost imperceptible. I saw some that suggested 6ish, but more than revolved around 3. I think I am going to stick to three per meal for a week or so.

I know that peppermint is not good for reflux, but apparently EVERY SINGLE enzyme pill and EVERY SINGLE ANTACID has peppermint in it, here. the only antacid that doesn't have peppermint--rennie has fruit flavours as well as peppermint flavours--doesn't work TT_TT

I guess... baking soda?

I can take betain HCl with the enzymes without feeling any burning at all -- 600 mg with large meals, 300 mg (cut in half) with smaller ones/snacks. But every time I've tried to take a betaine HCl tablet by itself, my stomach has a burning sensation in it. kind of like how your mouth feels when you eat peppermints.

I don't think you're supposed to take betaine HCl it on an empty stomach. You naturally make stomach acid when you eat, not between meals.

sorry, I mean by itself as in not coupled with enzymes. I always take it after the first few bites / first half of a meal, tho.

Huh. That is weird.

the "burning" I associated with the HCl?

haven't taken HCl for 36 hours. just popped some fruitin, which is a stomach acid barrier for reflux that doesn't change the ph of the stomach. it contains peppermint. that "burning" feeling is the same with the peppermint.

I should keep experimenting with the HCl then. idkidk. I was gonna get some enzymes and try them on their own. time will tell?