DF GF

Df gluten-free And Still Sick

Rate this topic

I have been glutn, dairy, casin, and alkalin free for a while now over 5 years and still suffer from migrains and stomach cramps. Recently I have not been able toeat my own pizza that I make myself. I will wake up after a few ours of sleep with migrain and vomiting the soy chees 12 hours later. I can't belive that I'm alergic to soy because I can drink the soy milk just fine. What is wrong with me?

Many celiacs canNOT eat soy...and, besides, soy is not good for humans to eat. I could provide many citations here, but I don't want to type pages and pages of information on this topic. What you're describing, though, is possibly cross-reactivity. This happens when your body begins to identify other foods as containing gluten when, in fact, they don't. Sometimes if you avoid those foods for a few months, you can reintroduce them in the future with no problems. However, sometimes the offending food is forever considered gluten by your body and must be avoided for life. I've found that eliminating ALL grains, not just gluten-containing grains, helps tremendously. I began reacting to all grains, including white rice, about six months ago, and now I follow the Primal Diet and am doing better than I ever have in my life. For pizza crust, I use a combination of coconut flour and flaxseed flour...and nut flours can be used for other things. I haven't missed grains at all, and the additional healthy saturated fats have helped me to better absorb fat-soluble vitamins, something that I've had trouble with all of my life. Nutrition is a complicated topic and one that is made even more complicated by flawed information touted by federal agencies that are politically influenced by food manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies.

What are the ingredients in the pizza?

Do you use very much xanthan gum, guar gum, that sort of thing? Xanthan gum especially is known for causing gut issues in some people, and the gums in general seem to be an issue. I believe this is a reaction that can develop over time, so it could be a new thing.

Another curious cause of gut issues can be the dye annatto - it can be listed as annatto or naturel dye, and is in everthing from buns to frozen fries to orange cheese. This has a good list of some of the common suspects: http://www.ibsnomore.com/annatto-food-list

Have you ever done an elimination diet or kept a food journal? Maybe you could find some connection. I started to have headaches after going gluten free as well, and mine turned out to be a reaction to certain pesticides, of all things. I never had this problem before going gluten-free, so it was a real surprise to develop it later!

There might be a contaminant in one of your foods, from gluten, dairy, or something like that. Have you double checked labels and gluten-free status of your food lately? We've been zapped by that ourselves. A product that was supposed to be gluten free, but not labeled as such, had a change in their factory production so that the gluten-free food started sharing a line with gluten containing food. We also had a product change their ingredients, where they added dairy to a dairy free cheese alternative! Don't know what the heck they were thinking people would eat it for, if it was dairy free but with added dairy. :blink: