smsm

Has A Drug Been In Development Before?

Rate this topic

I've seen what looks like a press release lately - - and also another one that is from a company that is trying to develop what appears to be a monthly shot (they are calling it a "vaccination")- http://www.celiac.com/articles/22559/1/ImmusanTs-Celiac-Vaccine-Passed-Phase-I-Clinical-Trials/Page1.html.

I have only been at this almost a year, but it seems like as more people are diagnosed, there would be more money in a drug (especially since these appear to be one that someone with celiac would always be dependent upon and thus a permanent source of income). Without trying to be cynical (which is hard, because I am a cynic), I believe that if drug companies think there is enough money in something, they will try to figure it out. Is this the one? Have drugs looked "promising" before? When I read these little articles, I get really hopeful. I don't need to be able to go out and get a pizza or anything and the gluten-free lifestyle isn't unbearable, but the prospect of not having to deal with CC is so unbelievably tantalizing. If we could live our lives with "no gluten ingredients" instead of "gluten free" it just seems like quality of life would really improve. Anyone have any insight?

At the annual celiac conferences that I attend (always held in different states), there are updates on the various promising treatments that have been ongoing for a while. The approval process takes many years. So far, in my opinion, the vaccine that has been developed in Australia is the most promising and may be the first treatment to become available....but we'll have to wait and see as it progresses through the various stages of approval. Here in the states the most promising treatment is the one that was first developed by Dr. Alessio Fasano, but I believe his company sold the treatment to another company, which is continuing through the FDA approval process. From what I have read and heard at conferences, this particular treatment is best used to control the effects of cross-contamination, since it only allows a two-hour window in which to eat gluten "safely." When attendees at one conference were asked to raise their hand if they would be interested in having the ability to take a pill to eat gluten, only one hand was raised out of a crowd of 300+ people. Personally, I feel that I would take such a pill if I were going to a potluck, picnic, or restaurant where I was worried about getting cc'd; otherwise, I would pass on taking it simply to be able to enjoy, say, a croissant. I would be too scared that my DH would act up, and, besides, I've pretty much lost my taste for wheat products. I'm fine with the gluten-free versions and enjoy eating meals that have been made from scratch.

There will probably be some kind of treatment available within the next five years....but, then, we were promised that five years ago!

Thanks for the reply! I agree with you - just something to take the scary edge off of eating out and about would be fabulous. I am not a patient person, but I guess I will just have to wait and see...

An awful lot of things can kill a new drug or treatment. Don't get your hopes up too high.

Alvine was looking for the ability to eat gluten with no issues with the enzymes, not an expensive treatment for minor CC. It's really hard to know whether they will decide that the enzymes have the profit potential to move forward into clinical trials that can cost upwards of $200 million. They have to be sure they can make the money back.