brookevale

Gluten Free Can't Tolerate Nuts, Crackers, Seeds, Soy

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for six weeks. Although I experienced more energy and less nausea going gluten free, I was still experiencing severe abdominal pain--so severe that only Neurontin would help relieve it. It was debilitating. I began eliminating ALL grains, nuts, seeds, crackers, and soy. The pain went away. When I tried to introduce each of these one by one, I would experience the horrible pain again. Does anyone have experience with this? I have another CAT scan scheduled this week. My doctor thinks I may have a small intestine stricture or other structural damage from celiac. Also, since I first experienced celiac symptoms, my bile issues have escalated. I haven't had a gallbladder in 13 years and there is definitely a problem with my bile. I can't tolerate fats and when I do eat fats, I get severe spasms in my right side where my gallbladder used to be. Ugggg. I am so frustrated. I am now on a paleo type diet that definitely helps. My doctor wants me to have an ERCP but I am worried about the risks. He also said he may want to go in with a laparascope to see what's going on with my small intestine. This would be surgery and I am worried about that too. I just want to feel better and be able to eat what I want (gluten free of course).

It sounds like you are having reactions to other foods besides gluten. That is not unusual for us. Maybe that's all it is. If you aren't already, you might want to try sticking to a whole foods diet for a while and see if it helps.

With the amount of pain you're experiencing, it sounds like at least the CAT scan is a good idea. Hopefully you won't have to move forward with anything more invasive.

A lot of us do have other food intolerance and soy and other grains are high on the list. You haven't been gluten-free very long. If the CAT scan is negative you might talk to your doctor about what else he's trying to rule out. If he is not concerned about cancer or something that needs quick intervention, you might ask about the possibility of holding off for a few months. Sometimes surprising things happen once you're off gluten and healing from the autoimmune damage.

Consider starting on a gut-healing diet like GAPS. The food list is similar to paleo, but you eat a lot of bone broth, fermented vegetables, and kefir if you tolerate milk. By healing your intestines you may be able to tolerate more foods. Also does your doctor have you using bile salts? It might help you eat a little fat so you can be sure you're absorbing vitamin D and essential fatty acids. http://www.gapsdiet.com.

With the amount of pain you're experiencing, it sounds like at least the CAT scan is a good idea. Hopefully you won't have to move forward with anything more invasive.

A lot of us do have other food intolerance and soy and other grains are high on the list. You haven't been gluten-free very long. If the CAT scan is negative you might talk to your doctor about what else he's trying to rule out. If he is not concerned about cancer or something that needs quick intervention, you might ask about the possibility of holding off for a few months. Sometimes surprising things happen once you're off gluten and healing from the autoimmune damage.

Consider starting on a gut-healing diet like GAPS. The food list is similar to paleo, but you eat a lot of bone broth, fermented vegetables, and kefir if you tolerate milk. By healing your intestines you may be able to tolerate more foods. Also does your doctor have you using bile salts? It might help you eat a little fat so you can be sure you're absorbing vitamin D and essential fatty acids. http://www.gapsdiet.com.

No bile salts at this point. I will ask the doc about that. Trying to get my fat from avocados, a little coconut, chicken, fish. Thanks and I will definitely take a peek at the GAPS diet.