kathrynk

Negative For Celiac

Rate this topic

my celiac test came back negative. Now I need to decide if I want to explore further testing, or just stay off wheat because I feel better. I am thinking the latter-maybe I will *try* gluten over the holidays and see if the stomach issues start up again. Then I worry the small amount will increase the attacks on my thyroid, so I am leaning towards just staying "gluten intolerant". Maybe the chiro who specializes in gluten intolerances will be able to help me out some as well...

It's great you probably don't have another autoimmune disease!

If you react to gluten, it still makes a LOT of sense to avoid it. There are a growing number of alternative practitioners suggesting that everyone with Hashimoto's should be gluten-free. Fasano has done some research suggesting that gluten intolerance can still inflame your thyroid, which fits in with the observations that going off gluten helps. The other thing I've been seeing for autoimmunity is to avoid dairy, especially cows milk with A1 beta-casein. Both gluten and milk have opiate-like peptides that can get across your gut if your GI system isn't in great shape and confuse your immune system.

It's great you probably don't have another autoimmune disease!

If you react to gluten, it still makes a LOT of sense to avoid it. There are a growing number of alternative practitioners suggesting that everyone with Hashimoto's should be gluten-free. Fasano has done some research suggesting that gluten intolerance can still inflame your thyroid, which fits in with the observations that going off gluten helps. The other thing I've been seeing for autoimmunity is to avoid dairy, especially cows milk with A1 beta-casein. Both gluten and milk have opiate-like peptides that can get across your gut if your GI system isn't in great shape and confuse your immune system.

Thank you, yes I am off dairy as well! I don't think I am going to re-introduce it as I am feeling so much better without both in my diet.