lpellegr

If You Miss Tagalongs Or Kandy Kakes

Rate this topic

Just successfully converted this recipe. Originally intended as a copy of Tastykake Kandy Kakes (Tandy Takes for those of us of a certain age), also resembles Girl Scout chocolate-covered peanut butter cookies, sometimes called Tagalongs.

2 T butter

2 c sugar

1 c milk

1 t vanilla

1 t baking powder

2 c flour (this should be a light flour mix, like white rice/tapioca/cornstarch/potato, rather than bean or sorghum or brown rice-ish)

4 eggs

1 t xanthan gum

smooth peanut butter

2 to 2 1/2 7 oz chocolate bars, or as many chocolate chips as it takes

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Scald milk and set aside to cool. Cream butter and sugar. It won't be creamy, as there is only a tiny bit of butter, but mix thoroughly. Add vanilla and eggs.

In a separate bowl, combine flour mix, baking powder, and xanthan gum. Gradually add it to the wet ingredient mix.

Add milk last. Mix to combine. It will be thin. Pour into greased pan, bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

While the cake is still hot, spread with peanut butter. This will melt and create a thin layer.

Let cake cool, then refrigerate to harden peanut butter.

Melt chocolate or chocolate chips and spread over hardened peanut butter. Let set.

Personally, I'd like the cake layer to be even thinner so there's more balance with the peanut butter and chocolate, but that's my preference. The cake holds together nicely, with a fine crumb.

LOL. I have been known to put peanut butter and chocolate chips on a gluten-free pancake when I just have to have something like this. :D