This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

College Student Just Diagnosed

DaVille06

DaVille06 Newbie

Hello everyone,

My name is Nick. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 2 months ago. I'm a 23 year old college student and can say that the transition has been anything but easy. Living life always on the run has made removing gluten from my diet a very difficult process. However, after a year of testing me for liver damage to peptic ulcers, I'm just glad to finally have a conclusive answer. I think my doctor was starting to believe I was crazy. Just wanted to say hey to everyone, I'm sure I'll be on here quite a bit as I have loads of questions. My doctor wasn't very helpful in the discovery process and said that most the info I could just get off the Internet. So to everyone, thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome Nick! Glad you found us. One thing we find helpful is to get our test results from the doctor. They are good for keeping records and also comparing notes with other people. Some colleges have programs to assist people with medical conditions like celiac disease. Others don't. They might allow you to live off campus or get a room with a kitchen to cook your own meals.

Anyway, do stick around and read lots. We have thousands of threads here on living gluten-free sucessfully! :D

DaVille06 Newbie

Thank you for the welcome. My doctor did give me my test results however I have never really looked at them. Maybe it's time to take a glance. And I will most certainly be here for a while. Nice to meet some people who can answer some questions and understand what I'm going thru.

navigator Apprentice

Welcome to the forum. When I was first diagnosed this forum provided me with so much information - and that's still ongoing! The gluten-free lifestyle is difficult at first but I'm eight months down the road and I rarely have difficulty now. If you're rushing about at college, being organised in advance will be a great help. The days of feeling hungry and then quickly grabbing something from anywhere are no longer feasible, so either prepare food, snacks etc and always have them with you or track down somewhere where the staff are knowledgeable about gluten-free and the dangers of cross-contamination.

I can relate to your relief at finally having an answer. I actually felt it quite liberating when I finally had a diagnosis after so long!

• 3 weeks later...
acmcclelland Newbie

Hey,

I feel ya, I just went gluten free too, more because I have tons of family members who have celiac disease. I felt like it was a time bomb waiting to happen, so i just changed the way I ate. I am about four weeks free of it. I agree, it is hard, but totally worth it. I can be your struggle buddy if you want :), I am also in college and usually I walk across campus with food because I don't have enough time to sit and eat a proper meal.

deltron80 Rookie

Doctors are @ssholes..

Good luck in the dining hall! :ph34r:

Archived