zeeclass6

Cuticles Of Thumbs Peeling: Weird Gluten Symptom?

Rate this topic

Every so often, the cuticles of both thumbs (at the bottom corners) get irritated and start peeling off. Could this be a gluten reaction? It seems rather mysterious to me. I don't get manicures (I do my own nails). I never use ANY nail polish or put on fake nails or anything....my nails are totally natural. All I ever do is file and smooth them ever week.

I don't use hand lotion very often, but when I do I make sure it is gluten-free. Recently I have been using some of the body butters from The Body Shop. They contain no gluten or soy. The problem only seems to occur on my thumbs at the bottom corners of the cuticles. It's so strange.

I know from experience that nutrient deficiencies can cause what you're describing, and many other problems with fingernails, and the surrounding area. Some nutrients to consider include vitamin C, B vitamins, vitamin K, vitamin D, biotin, zinc, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin E. Fatty acids including Omega-3s may also help. Sometimes too much citric acid can cause such symptoms as well, and citric acid is added to many processed foods. So while citrus fruits do typically contain a good amount of vitamin C, the citric acid in them may cause trouble.

There are articles on various websites about nail health, with descriptions and pictures to help identify what you're dealing with, as well as what nutrients often (but not always) cause those symptoms.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, that was very helpful!!!

I know from experience that nutrient deficiencies can cause what you're describing, and many other problems with fingernails, and the surrounding area. Some nutrients to consider include vitamin C, B vitamins, vitamin K, vitamin D, biotin, zinc, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin E. Fatty acids including Omega-3s may also help. Sometimes too much citric acid can cause such symptoms as well, and citric acid is added to many processed foods. So while citrus fruits do typically contain a good amount of vitamin C, the citric acid in them may cause trouble.

There are articles on various websites about nail health, with descriptions and pictures to help identify what you're dealing with, as well as what nutrients often (but not always) cause those symptoms.