joyjoy

No Name Brand Corn Chips

Rate this topic

do these chips contain gluten?

I had a small handful tonight without even thinking and a couple hours later I'm in tears, blowing everything out of proportion again.

I had some canned beans before that with some salsa, but I don't think it could be that?

I don't have a No Name chips package here to look at, but what makes you suspect them? I have never encountered corn chips that had gluten in them. I would look at the salsa first.

I assume there are no gluten ingredients. Does the bag say anything about shared equipment?

I guess just because I usually eat the salsa and feel ok. but I never eat corn chips. I'm just starting to get very discouraged. it feels sometimes like I cant eat anything. sometimes I wonder if it's even wheat or if I just react to everything :(

I'm sorry! just venting!

Yeah, we can definitely react to more than gluten. A lot of us have a little trouble with grains and starchy foods in general. Tomatoes kill me, especially raw.

I read the GAPS book available at http://www.gapsdiet.com and it was a real eye-opener. Some people have really messed up gut bacteria and starchy foods and sugar feed them and keep things out of balance. GAPS is a diet designed to rebalance your system and seal your gut so you don't have so many GI problems. It's similar to the Specific Carbohydrate diet. If you don't seem to tolerate grains, sugar, and starchy foods very well, you might take a look. It may be particularly helpful if you are not diagnosed celiac, but find you feel somewhat better off wheat.

Also remember that corn is a major allergen so it might be that you're a little allergic to it. Or it could be gluten CC, but I found all my unexplained reactions were actually other foods. It was confusing because sometimes I can get away with one food I can't tolerate, like a little dairy, but mix two like dairy and tomato on a Greek salad, or throw in something generally hard to tolerate like red wine and I get all messed up.

thanks! I'll check that site out for sure! thanks so much :)