Scott Adams

Gluten-free diets may be overused - STLtoday.com

Rate this topic

BlissTree

Gluten-free diets may be overused

STLtoday.com

Gluten sensitivity is the topic of a paper published recently in the Annals of Internal Medicine in which researchers acknowledged the seriousness of celiac disease, but also said part of the population could have nonceliac gluten sensitivity.

Gluten Sensitivity Elimination Diet Not Always Warranted, Study Says Huffington Post

Gluten-Free: 'Not Just A Fad For Me' BlissTree

Gluten Intolerance: When Is it a Full-Blown Allergy? KBOI

all 7 news articles »

View the full article

I just read this article in the paper a little while ago. I just don't understand who would be "overusing" a gluten-free diet? I don't like always having to think about what I'm eating or what I'm going to eat next. Life was so much easier (albeit painful) with gluten. If I could eat a chicken pesto pizza from Pi without getting violently ill, I would. I can't imagine anyone being gluten-free just because they think it's trendy, if they didn't have any symptoms.

• Upvote 1

I just read this article in the paper a little while ago. I just don't understand who would be "overusing" a gluten-free diet? I don't like always having to think about what I'm eating or what I'm going to eat next. Life was so much easier (albeit painful) with gluten. If I could eat a chicken pesto pizza from Pi without getting violently ill, I would. I can't imagine anyone being gluten-free just because they think it's trendy, if they didn't have any symptoms.

The overusing part bugs me. I think if a person notices that gluten, or any other food makes them ill or in some way not feel well, it is warranted to leave it out of the diet.

I would think it better to talk about the "over-use" of C-sections or cosmetic surgery, rather than the dietary choices of people who suffer.