Rate this topic

I haven't been confirmed to have celiac disease yet, but all of the symptoms seem to line up as I've been feeling horrible for a long time now with many different symptoms. This is my fourth day of going gluten free, and I haven't had any noticeable improvement, but almost daily I've randomly gotten light headed. For a while I've felt really foggy and harder to concentrate, but not full on light headedness until now. What could this mean? Could it at all be related or is it something else? It's not to the point of feeling like I'm going to pass out, but it's for sure there and very noticeable at times. Sometimes I've also had some weird vision along with it a few times where it would look/feel like the room was spinning unless I tried really hard to focus on something, but it would go back to spinning for a little longer.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I haven't been confirmed to have celiac disease yet, but all of the symptoms seem to line up as I've been feeling horrible for a long time now with many different symptoms. This is my fourth day of going gluten free, and I haven't had any noticeable improvement, but almost daily I've randomly gotten light headed. For a while I've felt really foggy and harder to concentrate, but not full on light headedness until now. What could this mean? Could it at all be related or is it something else? It's not to the point of feeling like I'm going to pass out, but it's for sure there and very noticeable at times. Sometimes I've also had some weird vision along with it a few times where it would look/feel like the room was spinning unless I tried really hard to focus on something, but it would go back to spinning for a little longer.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

When first going gluten-free a lot of people go through a sort of withdrawl period. It's a pretty good sign that gluten was affecting your brain? Try to tough it out..it won't last forever.

When first going gluten-free a lot of people go through a sort of withdrawl period. It's a pretty good sign that gluten was affecting your brain? Try to tough it out..it won't last forever.

Most of it is gone now. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon. Yesterday for about two hours I randomly got a slight fever, incredibly weak, and shaky, which was a completely new symptom. I'm just hoping it doesn't come back again.

Most of it is gone now. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon. Yesterday for about two hours I randomly got a slight fever, incredibly weak, and shaky, which was a completely new symptom. I'm just hoping it doesn't come back again.

Make sure you drink a lot of water to help flush your system. I know these feelings are scary, but they should improve as your system clears out.

Gluten can be addictive to the brain. It releases a "feel good" chemical that the brain craves. Removing it from your diet makes the brain crave it even more. The result is those symptoms that you've described. They will pass. Just rest and take it easy as much as you can. When you get up from a seated or laying position do a bit slower than usual so you don't get so light headed.

I've had all of these symptoms & more. They are scary & uncomfortable. Sometimes I felt like my knees were going to buckle. I have gone in & out of this phase several times now. Each time the "phase" seems to not last as many days nor be as severe. Hang in there. Also be warned of the heart pounding that can go on for hours or even all day & night.

I went through lightheadedness and dizziness right after going gluten-free, too. And extreme fatigue. It does get better. If it doesn't improve over a couple of weeks, then you should ask here again and consider looking further into it. At this point, I'd consider it withdrawal.

Just FYI, if I get even the tiniest bit of gluten now, I get lightheaded. I went out to eat a few weeks ago at a very safe restaurant. They cooked my meal correctly and with clean pans, etc. An hour after eating, I would have passed out if I hadn't been sitting down watching a movie. Kept having waves of lightheadedness. It lasted for 3 or 4 days, but the degree decreased over time. (This was a VERY mild glutening for me, so I wonder if they were baking earlier in the kitchen or something?)