Rate this topic

Hello. I'm new to the board, today. My son (13yo) was given a firm diagnosis last week with having celiac. We stared the gluten free diet last Thursday. It hasn't been too bad, I must say. I cleaned the heck out of my kitchen. I threw away tupperware, baking dishes, pots/pans, and cutting boards. We are waiting on results for blood work for the other 2 kids.

I'm looking for a little understanding on something the doc said to us. Hopefully you can help. He said something about mesh rating of 3a on a scale of 1-3b. Is this basically the amount of damage he has?

Thanks for your help.

Jeanette

Hello. I'm new to the board, today. My son (13yo) was given a firm diagnosis last week with having celiac. We stared the gluten free diet last Thursday. It hasn't been too bad, I must say. I cleaned the heck out of my kitchen. I threw away tupperware, baking dishes, pots/pans, and cutting boards. We are waiting on results for blood work for the other 2 kids.

I'm looking for a little understanding on something the doc said to us. Hopefully you can help. He said something about mesh rating of 3a on a scale of 1-3b. Is this basically the amount of damage he has?

Thanks for your help.

Jeanette

The Dr. was telling you about the level of damage according to the Marsh scale.

From Wikipedia:

The classic pathology changes of coeliac disease in the small bowel are categorised by the "Marsh classification":[62]

Marsh stage 0: normal mucosa

Marsh stage 1: increased number of intra-epithelial lymphocytes, usually exceeding 20 per 100 enterocytes

Marsh stage 2: proliferation of the crypts of Lieberkuhn

Marsh stage 3: partial or complete villous atrophy

Marsh stage 4: hypoplasia of the small bowel architecture

Marsh's classification, introduced in 1992, was subsequently modified in 1999 to six stages, where the previous stage 3 was split in three substages.[63] Further studies demonstrated that this system was not always reliable and that the changes observed in coeliac disease could be described in one of three stages