This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cards For Waitresses When Out To Eat

JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF Apprentice

Does anyone know where I can get cards with information on them to give to waitresses at restaurants when I'm out to eat?

I could have sworn I heard about these informational cards you hand to the waitress that has a list of ingredients that contain gluten, so that they don't have to question whether or not the gravy for the turkey could possible contain gluten because of the ingredient "modified food starch."

Anyone know what I'm talking about and know where I can get them?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sreese68 Enthusiast

I like these best: Open Original Shared Link There are also these: Open Original Shared Link Look at bottom of the page. The laminated ones are good for ethnic cuisines or travel to foreign countries.

JoyfulGF Apprentice

I like these best: Open Original Shared Link There are also these: Open Original Shared Link Look at bottom of the page. The laminated ones are good for ethnic cuisines or travel to foreign countries.

Thank you sreese! Great resources!

I need to be more serious about making sure that everyone that comes in contact with my meals, know that I cannot have any gluten. I'm a little timid...not sure why.

JoyfulGF Apprentice

Also wanted to ask what others do when they're out to eat. Do you ask to talk to the chef/kitchen manager? Do you give them or the waitress a dining out card with instructions on it?

I'm so timid when it comes to this, and like I said above, I have no idea why. I guess I just don't like being a bother. I'm going out to lunch tomorrow with a friend. I'll probably order an omelet with veggies and home fries because I have before at this restaurant and haven't been glutened. Because of the past visit, I'll be less likely to tell the waitress about my gluten-free diet. The same for another restaurant in the area. I've asked before about how their gravy is made (cornstarch) and have yet to ask again if they still make it that way....just because I feel like I'm being a bother. I know this is my health I'm dealing with, I just can't seem to get past the fact that I need to let everyone know.

Let me know what you do. :)

love2travel Mentor

I always call ahead and speak with the chef or maitre'd. We only eat at high-end restaurants as not only is the food better quality/tasting I feel safer as the chefs and staff are higher calibre and usually very aware. Many of these place do not deep fry or batter things. They also often do not use flour in sauces - there is no need. Some even have gluten-free bread service or amuse bouche.

I'm afraid you are going to have to become assertive - but this can be done in a nice way. I do not like attention drawn to myself, either, but that is helped by calling in advance. Good restaurants "get it" and are very discreet with requests. I would guess that at all the places we go to I am safe with about 80% of the menu. Or more.

When I travel to foreign countries where English is not the first language I do certainly use restaurant cards. If we can we call ahead but sometimes it is not practical when traveling; not only that, language can be an issue. So far in the countries I've been to since my diagnosis have been great, thankfully.

JoyfulGF Apprentice

I always call ahead and speak with the chef or maitre'd. We only eat at high-end restaurants as not only is the food better quality/tasting I feel safer as the chefs and staff are higher calibre and usually very aware. Many of these place do not deep fry or batter things. They also often do not use flour in sauces - there is no need. Some even have gluten-free bread service or amuse bouche.

I'm afraid you are going to have to become assertive - but this can be done in a nice way. I do not like attention drawn to myself, either, but that is helped by calling in advance. Good restaurants "get it" and are very discreet with requests. I would guess that at all the places we go to I am safe with about 80% of the menu. Or more.

When I travel to foreign countries where English is not the first language I do certainly use restaurant cards. If we can we call ahead but sometimes it is not practical when traveling; not only that, language can be an issue. So far in the countries I've been to since my diagnosis have been great, thankfully.

Thanks love2!

Most of the restaurants I patronize are quick, easy, and very casual. It seems unnecessary to call but, I am going to be handing out the dining cards more often. I haven't gone out to eat in more than a week. My husband and I will be taking a trip to Florida in July and Connecticut in November. I've done my own dining cards on the computer to print out on index cards. I need to make a few so that if I don't get them back, I'm not at a loss. Lately I don't really want to go out to eat because it's just easier to stay in and I'm not that hungry to eat a whole lot in a restaurant anyway. I'm starting to be more assertive when it comes to reminding people where to look for hidden gluten. I'm going to my parents for dinner on Sunday and my Mom just emailed me letting me know that we're having chicken on the grill, potato salad, and beans. I politely reminded her to check the chicken marinade ingredients as well as the beans and to make sure my Dad's grill is free from bread crumbs from toasted hamburger or hotdog buns. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

love2travel Mentor

Thanks love2!

Most of the restaurants I patronize are quick, easy, and very casual. It seems unnecessary to call but, I am going to be handing out the dining cards more often. I haven't gone out to eat in more than a week. My husband and I will be taking a trip to Florida in July and Connecticut in November. I've done my own dining cards on the computer to print out on index cards. I need to make a few so that if I don't get them back, I'm not at a loss. Lately I don't really want to go out to eat because it's just easier to stay in and I'm not that hungry to eat a whole lot in a restaurant anyway. I'm starting to be more assertive when it comes to reminding people where to look for hidden gluten. I'm going to my parents for dinner on Sunday and my Mom just emailed me letting me know that we're having chicken on the grill, potato salad, and beans. I politely reminded her to check the chicken marinade ingredients as well as the beans and to make sure my Dad's grill is free from bread crumbs from toasted hamburger or hotdog buns. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

It's great to hear you are becoming more assertive! I had to, too. I will never become aggressive but my spine has grown thicker. Get this - it is also very easy to cook just as well at home as eating at most restaurants. However, sometimes you've just got to get out and socialize!

Excellent to hear that you are on track with finding hidden gluten and have checked everything with your family. When I went to my in-laws at Christmas, they provided me with my own counter space and checked every single ingredient that they were using. I dished up first to avoid possible CC with anything else (i.e. someone touching bread). I was in the kitchen when they were cooking, too. When I go to my family's place I'm the one cooking which is great as I love it and they do, too. So, I take along my own cutting boards, knives, colander, etc. Oh - speaking of colander, make sure your Mom's is safe for draining the potatoes. They can harbour all sorts of gluten from draining pasta and so on.

You can do this! It will get easier before you know it. Soon it will be second nature. So will that assertiveness! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JoyfulGF Apprentice

It's great to hear you are becoming more assertive! I had to, too. I will never become aggressive but my spine has grown thicker. Get this - it is also very easy to cook just as well at home as eating at most restaurants. However, sometimes you've just got to get out and socialize!

Excellent to hear that you are on track with finding hidden gluten and have checked everything with your family. When I went to my in-laws at Christmas, they provided me with my own counter space and checked every single ingredient that they were using. I dished up first to avoid possible CC with anything else (i.e. someone touching bread). I was in the kitchen when they were cooking, too. When I go to my family's place I'm the one cooking which is great as I love it and they do, too. So, I take along my own cutting boards, knives, colander, etc. Oh - speaking of colander, make sure your Mom's is safe for draining the potatoes. They can harbour all sorts of gluten from draining pasta and so on.

You can do this! It will get easier before you know it. Soon it will be second nature. So will that assertiveness! :P

My husband and I go through phases where I just want to go out to eat and he doesn't (for a week or two) and then we'll switch, he'll want to and I won't. Usually our dinner dates consist of McDonald's (I know, I know, really bad) where I get two large fries and a shake of some sort. Or chinese. The owners at the chinese place treat us like family so they'll make me a special plate of general tso's with unbreaded chicken(the sauce is made with cornstarch), even when I get the buffet and they should charge me extra for the special order, they don't. So it's usually McDonald's or Chinese (with a trip to KMart!) We sometimes go to a diner and I'll get the texas cheeseburger without a bun, their sauce is made with cornstarch. It's situations like this where I won't ask them to be careful not to get bread crumbs on my plate, or to clean the grill before they slap my burger on it.

Your in-laws sound so loving and understanding. :) My in-laws are great, but my MIL will not think twice about one food item (which definitely not gluten free) and ask me if I want some and then question another food (which is an obviously gluten free item). It's so funny. Then she'll tell me she's bringing my husband some cake and say "but you can't have that so that's just for David." Sometimes she makes me just chuckle because it's like "do you not realize that I know I can't have that?"

The colander hadn't even crossed my mind! Wow! Thanks for letting me know that.

Archived