49erlady

Cross Contamination ?

Rate this topic

I have changed over much of my kitchen since my dx of Celiac. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer that I have had for many years. I am afraid to use it due to the possibility of cross contamination issues. The bowl and attachments are stainless steel and I know they can be sanitized but I'm concerned about the flour getting into the mechanism, such as where the attachments connect and the power lever. Is there a way I can clean it or will there always be a chance of cross contamination? or am I being way too paranoid??? Love my mixer but afraid to touch it....

Since the parts that touch food can be cleaned well, I think I'd put on some rubber gloves and use pipe cleaners or something to try to clean those hard to get at areas? There shouldn't be much there..if any?

I washed mine down with a soapy rag, washed the bowl and attachments and have been using it for a year. Turn it upside down (yeah, heavy) so you can see up inside. Clean well.

My daughter kept her 20+ year-old KA mixer. I only had a KA hand-held mixer and kept it also but it was only lightly used. I also found it did a lousy job on gluten-free breads so I then bought my KA stand mixer after I was gluten-free.