kenlove

Probiotics An Effective Solution For Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

With antibiotics running rampant as a medical solution while causing massive destruction to beneficial gut flora, it is imperative to make every attempt to restore that

Well, we can probably all agree that "Solution" is a stretch.

I think most of us also agree that probiotics are helpful.

The article claims, w/out substantiation, that healing celiacs need to be grain-free, not just gluten-free. That's not how *I've* heard it.

Still, if not taking probiotics but reading on this site, try some. :)

Seems like they're saying that maybe probiotics help avoid converting from gluten sensitivity to celiac disease? Seems like I remember reading some research that gut dysbiosis may be involved in the development of celiac a couple years back. That makes sense.

What kind is the best? I have one child yet to be diagnosed but we know she has the genes. I'd love to try anything. What kind is the best for kids?

I've known that probiotics are very good for us for quite a while. One thing I'm confused about is..if a person is taking anti-biotics, should they also take probiotics at the same time..or does it do no good? I'd hate to give my system the added stress of a bacterial die-off.

Anybody know if we should wait until after a course of antibiotics to take probiotics..or take at the same time? :unsure:

I've known that probiotics are very good for us for quite a while. One thing I'm confused about is..if a person is taking anti-biotics, should they also take probiotics at the same time..or does it do no good? I'd hate to give my system the added stress of a bacterial die-off.

Anybody know if we should wait until after a course of antibiotics to take probiotics..or take at the same time? :unsure:

I take them during, at a different time from the antibiotic dose, then continue for a couple months. It's never caused me any issues and probiotics + yeast-killers like caprylic acid will usually head off the feminine yeast infection I tend to get after antibiotics.

Thanks so much for your input! I had stopped taking the probiotics, but will start them back up. I hope I haven't caused too much damage by going off them? I've been on antibiotics for 3 weeks now. :unsure:

I kept taking the coconut oil, so hopefully the yeast isn't gaining a foothold?

Unfortunately it's not cheap, but my daughter does good belly probiotics, which are little shots and she loves them, she grabs them in the morning with breakfast. They also have a line that has no sugar. There are other great alternatives like Inner-Eco which is cheaper because it has 30 servings in it. We are lucky to have so many health food sources where I am, so these things are readily available and I've been reading up and looking at my diet the past few months.

I have been a pain in the arse :lol: about telling celiacs to take probiotics since I joined this forum because I had no detectable good bacteria upon DX. That's not good at all. It took me 10 months to straighten my gut and GI tract out.

Not a "solution" but certainly a great help at healing the gut and reducing inflammation. And for people with serious bowel issues, a giant help!

My doctor agrees with me. He says: Take them! Before during and after doses of antibiotics. The "good guys" need replenishing.

I take a two week break every few months.

There are many good brands out there, and there are many threads on here discussing this topic, but I know that Custom Probiotics has one formulated for children too. If you cannot afford that brand, try the dairy and gluten free OTC brand Culturelle. It's backed by research and contains the lactobacillus GG strain, recommended by my GI doctor as well.

Just a suggestion!