This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Antidepressant Withdrawal When Glutened?

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

I hope that this is the case, well in a weird way. I take Celexa for depression and anxiety and lately, when I get glutened it has been really hellish. My symptoms are clearly a glutening but they are starting to resemble the symptoms I've had when cutting down on an anti-depressant too so I'm wondering if my body is actually going through withdrawal as well as glutening making my life twice as hellish.

I got glutened last week (BAD) and I called my doctor to ask him to fill my prescription in liquid form. I took it for the first time tonight and it was like all my symptoms (physical and emotional) lessened within an hour. They didn't totally go away but I feel so much better.

Could be the placebo effect (at this point I don't care) but I'm wondering if I got through drug withdrawal when I get glutened making me feel twice as bad. Any thoughts. I would die of happiness if just taking the liquid form reduced my glutening symptoms even just a little. :) Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I suppose that if you get a lot of damage fairly quickly, then it could well be that you don't absorb as much of the drug as your body needs after being glutened.

skbird Contributor

I don't know, interesting hypothesis. I know that when I get glutened, most of the time I have a resurgence of depression, anxiety and anger of the likes I have not seen in 10 years, back when I was diagnosed as bipolar (mistakenly). Gluten brings out the worst in me, for sure. I don't take an antidepressant at this point in my life but would probably wonder if my glutening was affecting the absorption of my meds. I would be interested in other more objective results, like other meds that have an easier to measure result than affecting emotions (which are so hard to measure!)

Stephanie

nettiebeads Apprentice
I hope that this is the case, well in a weird way. I take Celexa for depression and anxiety and lately, when I get glutened it has been really hellish. My symptoms are clearly a glutening but they are starting to resemble the symptoms I've had when cutting down on an anti-depressant too so I'm wondering if my body is actually going through withdrawal as well as glutening making my life twice as hellish.

I got glutened last week (BAD) and I called my doctor to ask him to fill my prescription in liquid form. I took it for the first time tonight and it was like all my symptoms (physical and emotional) lessened within an hour. They didn't totally go away but I feel so much better.

Could be the placebo effect (at this point I don't care) but I'm wondering if I got through drug withdrawal when I get glutened making me feel twice as bad.  Any thoughts. I would die of happiness if just taking the liquid form reduced my glutening symptoms even just a little. :) Beverly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm on zoloft myself for dysthymia (depression to the nth degree) and for awhile I was wondering if it wasn't working. After joining this forum I realized that maybe it was a reaction to being glutenated, albeit obviously accidentally. I bet that malabsorption thing has something to do with it. And I've been w/o my zoloft totally for two nights, so far so good. I messed up when reordering my 'script and didn't do it in time so I haven't gotten it in the mail yet. And thinking back to my many bouts of depressions since getting celiac disease 9 yrs ago and going on zoloft 5 years ago,there has to be a correlation somewhere. I'm glad you have a dr that can get you your meds in liquid form so quickly. I don't think it was all placebo.

Guest BERNESES

Yeah- it's interesting. It's day 2 on the liquid form and I feel a little better but that could also be just recovering from getting glutened. It's weird because if you read the list of SSRI withdrawal symptoms, they are very similar to the way I feel when I've accidentally ingested gluten. But then again, it's like you said, getting gluten in your system wreaks havoc on your emotional state,so who knows. I'll keep you posted.

Archived