milkmommy

Could It Be Fructose Malabsorption?

Rate this topic

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice.

I have been diagnosed with celiac for over a year now. Going gluten free has helped my constipation and nausea but now I have issues with diarrhea, urgency.

I am very strict about gluten although I once had it unknowingly and my only symptom was the constipation which was a welcome change.

It seems now if I eat fruit or vegetables I get the 'D' the next day and worse urgency.

Recently I had a colonoscopy to rule out crohns/colitis which runs in my family but I haven't heard anything so I am assuming that was normal.

I'm stuck being told it ibs but I'm wondering if it could be fructose malabsorption? Anyone have this after celiac diagnoses?

On the other hand it seems to occur with all fruits not just high fructose ones so I'm confused.

Forgot to mention meds like Imodium do not help although my dr told me to just use it multiple time a day. Potatoes dont bother me

I get this too. I'm hoping it'll clear up once we heal from celiac damage, but I'm always an optimist :)

From what I've read, it's best to just have small servings of low-fructose fruits (like 10 grapes, lemon/lime/grapefruit, berries, ripe bananas) on an empty stomach. Then wait 30 minutes before eating anything else

High fructose vegetables should be limited too as well, generally 1/2 cup max. I found limiting my diet to lowfructose veg + cutting out all fruit has helped. In a couple weeks I'm going to challenge some lowfructose fruits & see how it goes.

I believe there's also a breath test that you can take that will show if you're not digesting it properly.