MissPatient21

Has Anyone With A Corn And/or Gluten Allergy Had An Issue With Paper Towels?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to figure out if my symptoms are related to cross contamination from dried lentils (Timeless Natural Food brand), cross contamination from my gluten-eating family members (happens a LOT), or if it's the new paper towels that we got yesterday.

I'm severely allergic to corn, and I'm celiac. I was wondering if anyone with the same issues has had problems with paper towels? I believe these are Brawny. When I opened the package, I noticed a strong smell. They leave a strong smell on my hands as well. It's not a perfumey/fragrance smell...I was worried because it smells more grainy. But I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid.

I would love to hear any thoughts, experiences or information that anyone has.

Hi- I am a newby but I will say that I have had issues with papertowels. It wasn't the same brand that you mentioned. I have since swithched to Bounty and have seen quite an improvement. I had been microwaving my bread, to defrost it, on paper towels and kept feeling sick but once I switched I haven't had any other problems. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to figure out if my symptoms are related to cross contamination from dried lentils (Timeless Natural Food brand), cross contamination from my gluten-eating family members (happens a LOT), or if it's the new paper towels that we got yesterday.

I'm severely allergic to corn, and I'm celiac. I was wondering if anyone with the same issues has had problems with paper towels? I believe these are Brawny. When I opened the package, I noticed a strong smell. They leave a strong smell on my hands as well. It's not a perfumey/fragrance smell...I was worried because it smells more grainy. But I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid.

I would love to hear any thoughts, experiences or information that anyone has.

Some paper products do indeed have corn in them. I have given up on paper products except for TP. I use cloth towels and ceramic plates. I DO have paper towels for my customers use over the sink here at the shop and on occasion I will forget and use one, but I ALWAYS buy Bounty anyway and haven't had any trouble. Add that to what the previous poster said and it looks like Bounty may be corn-free. (You'll like bounty better anyway. I used to use them to clean the George Foreman grill, and with Bounty, three half sheets would do the job. The other brand you mentioned would take five or six whole sheets, and the cheap brands would take half a roll!)

I have had a corn reaction to paper bowls so I am sure you can have one to paper towels as well. I sue Bounty Basic and throw the first and last two towels away. I think the problem may lie in the glue they use to adhere the towels to the roll.