Rate this topic

So I hear that it is a 1 in 22 chance that a sibling will get celiac. However, judging by this forum it is much higher than that. Even the Duggars would only have 1 celiac with those ratios ! I have 2 kids and both have high TTg. One is being retested today. But so many here have more than 1 child with it, it makes me really question the 1:22 thing.

The ratios are based on vast numbers, then averaged.

In My family : My Aunt on moms side had it, we believe my mom had it before she died but neither me or my husband have it, but our only child does.

I think you only hear about the families with more dx here because thats who joins the group.

Of course I have 2 sisiter who don't believe they could possibly have it and convinced their Dr not to be tested. One of my sisters has an Autoimmune disease the other has had significant weight loss and joint aches and pains in last 4 years. But you know .... denial..... I did have a 3rd sister test negative so according to the other 2 that's proof enough. Ugh............

My oldest tested hight ttg and is still going through diagnosis process (had a normal biopsy) my youngest was normal, but I will retest him regularly because I have a feeling he will be positive in the future. I had them screened when I discovered I had it, no symptoms in either of them so I thought- until I discovered that the joint pain my oldest has had off/on for 18 months could indeed be celiac related.

Just curious-- both your kids tested high ttg, what are you doing with them, monitoring and retesting or already gone gluten free?

One was biopsied and proven celiac. She is gluten free. The youngest had been biopsied and negative 9 months before. The doctor told me to wait 6 months. If she has high TTg ( and it was weak positive not crAzy high like oldest) we will go gluten-free without a scope. Somewhere I read that more GI docs are diagnosing celiac with 2 positive blood tests and not scope. Just 9 months earlier her TTg and scope was normal. She had general belly pain that has since gone away. But since she had those negative tests, I needed 2 positive tests. I know most of you would slap me for not immediately going gluten-free but I just need more than weak pos and a neg biopsy.