kittty

Dairy Advice

Rate this topic

I'm dairy-confused right now :blink: , and looking for advice.

Dairy was the first thing I cut out when looking for a food-related solution to many medical problems, and that did improve my GI issues some. Cutting out gluten was the answer, but diary was bothering me for a while into the gluten-free journey so I stayed dairy free for about a month. After that I could tolerate dairy just fine, but now, four months later, I'm finding that some forms of dairy are causing problems again (diarrhea and undigested food in stool). The latest dairy reaction started after I was glutened about a month ago, and hasn't gone away.

Milk is an issue, as is cheese (except in small amounts), but greek yogurt doesn't seem to trigger any effects.

Do you think that cutting dairy again temporarily would solve these issues? How long would you recommend being dairy-free?

Or, is it possible that going gluten-free has exacerbated my sensitivity to dairy?

Thanks!

This has just happened to me as well. When I was first diagnosed with celiac 1.5 years ago, I was able to tolerate dairy. Shortly after, I could not so I went dairy free for several months which improved GI issues. Sadly, the past two weeks or so I am unable to tolerate some dairy again (soft and semi-soft cheeses and milk). But I can eat a bit of aged cheese and Greek yogurt. Oh, and also cream. These contain lower amounts of lactose than milk and many cheeses. So, I am being careful once again. Today I actually found gluten and lactose-free chocolate milk! I was so pleased. I also eat lactose-free yogurt.

If I were you I would try eliminating dairy again for a month or two. We are all so different and have different reactions, including gluten and dairy. It is difficult to say whether it is related to your being gluten free or not. It could be the same for me, too. I know there are many people who develop other tolerances after being gluten free for a time. This is yet another option! :huh:

Thanks for the advice! Glad I'm not the only one who randomly develops lactose intolerance! :)

I had a greek yogurt for lunch, thinking it would be okay. An hour later I was running to the bathroom at work with stomach cramps and D. So it's getting worse.

I'm definitely cutting all dairy again starting tomorrow.

Oh, you poor thing. :( Hopefully you are able to enjoy dairy again soon! Guess what? In the grocery store yesterday I found lactose and gluten free chocolate milk! I was sooooo happy as I have cravings for that once in awhile. My husband tried it and said it is just as good as his regular chocolate milk. :)

Have you considered casein intolerance? I started an interesting thread here:

A lot of people who thought they were lactose intolerant over here in Oz found out it was bcm7 (an opiod in A1 milk) that was causing problems.