Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLGW2012

"blunted Villi", Redness, & Swelling = Common With Celiac?

Today was my 8-year-old's biopsy. The doctor brought out pics that they took during the endoscopy and showed me that her upper intestine was "flat" with "blunted villi", redness, and swelling.

One dr already told ,e that with the positive TTG greater than 100, the positive titer (1:160) ema, the positive IgA and IgG, he is 100% certain she has celiac disease...but the doctor who did the endoscopy told me to wait for the biopsy results before we go gluten free.

After talking to many of you I feel like this doctor is not giving good advice and we should definitely cut out gluten immediately. But I am concerned about the redness and swelling. Is that normal with blunted villi from celiac?

The biopsy has been taken, the results can't be affected by what you do now, so there is no reason to wait to start the gluten free diet. Your instincts are correct.

side rant: WHY are doctors so hesitant to put patients on a gluten free diet? They worry less about prescribing all kinds of crazy meds with crazier side effects. The doctor has taken the biopsy, the blood tests are drawn, what could possibly be the problem with going on the diet now? Oh wait, your daughter may feel better and not need constant medical care (=profit) anymore!