Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deb1

Child Symptoms Negative Blood Test

Hi, can anyone offer advice please?

My daughter is 7 and for the past 2 years has suffered with reoccurring chest infections, to which the GP's have handed out antibiotics.. 7 in one year!

She had unexplained abdominal pain that lasted for around 7 months, which she had numerous blood tests for (not sure if they tested for celiac) which disappeared of it's own accord.

She has also had lots of skin rashes.

She has got a yellow spot on one of her two new adult teeth. And basically a low immune.

She is also Asthmatic.

After the last chest infection in March I took a different approach and visited a health shop. They told me that she could be suffering from Candida in her lungs due to the amount of antibiotics. I was given the advice to put her on a wheat, sugar and dairy free diet. By doing this it would help her immune system to recover. This we did for 5 weeks. After two weeks the effect was unbelievable her chest was clear. It was only in the fourth week that someone mentioned Celiac to me and I googled the symptoms. I was surprised to see some of her symptoms there so went to my GP, she sent us for a blood test (knowing that she hadn't had wheat for nearly 5 weeks and I wasn't aware that she should have been on gluten to have the blood test) the result for celiac was negative but showed that she had low iron so is now on an iron supplement.

Since the result for celiac was negative I let her start eating wheat again.. We are now 2 weeks on and she is showing signs of her chest problem returning...husky voice and coughing up phlegm.

I'm not convinced. There is defiantly something going on.

What to Do now...back to GP and ask for more tests... Has anybody else got similar chest related problems linked to Celiac.

In a dilemma any advice would be much appreciated.

A Uk member.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just let her continue to eat wheat for a few more weeks, and then go back and get tested again. Make sure you get the FULL celiac panel as well. I was tested for celiac twice, both came back negative, but they were also just the older tests. My doctor set me up with an endoscopy appointment now, so if this comes back negative, then I guess I just have gluten intolerance, but for now i dont believe the blood tests were very accurate.

I also have iron deficiency, and I get a bunch of mucos in my throat, and I get winded just from walking, ANYWHERE. I think all these problems are related to gluten.

And if your daughters tests come back negative again, you could just consider her to have non-celiac gluten intolerance(which can only be tested through eliminating gluten)

Just let her continue to eat wheat for a few more weeks, and then go back and get tested again. Make sure you get the FULL celiac panel as well. I was tested for celiac twice, both came back negative, but they were also just the older tests. My doctor set me up with an endoscopy appointment now, so if this comes back negative, then I guess I just have gluten intolerance, but for now i dont believe the blood tests were very accurate.

I also have iron deficiency, and I get a bunch of mucos in my throat, and I get winded just from walking, ANYWHERE. I think all these problems are related to gluten.

And if your daughters tests come back negative again, you could just consider her to have non-celiac gluten intolerance(which can only be tested through eliminating gluten)

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am going to give it a few more weeks to see what happens with the symptoms.

Thanks again Debbie