Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abthiede

Could This Pain Possibly Be From Gluten?

Hello everyone. I am relatively new here (2nd post) and I'm hoping for some insight. Back in July I went to my PCP for a routine physical. I had been experiencing months of vague stomach pains/nausea but didn't think much of it. She ran a blood allergy panel and celiac panel and prescribed an abdominal ultrasound. The ultrasound was clear. In addition to other allergies (milk, egg, etc) the allergy showed a mild allergy to wheat (.69- class 3 is .51-2.50).The celiac panel results were negative for endomysial antibody, but 4 for tTG IgA (weak positive 4-10). The doctor suggested I cut wheat and gluten from my diet and reintroduce it to monitor my reaction. I stopped eating gluten for 3 weeks (my stomach discomfort vanished) ate pizza, and didn't feel terrible. I decided to do it again. Every few weeks I'd eat one thing with wheat and didn't feel terrible. So last Monday I ate gluten for 3 days, and simulatenously was put on a sulfur-based antibiotic for a possible UTI. Since then, for a full my entire abdomen has been screaming. I can barely eat without feeling immediate nausea and have experienced a strong squeezing/pressure feeling under my right rib cage. And oh the gas! I'm getting a repeat ultrasound on Friday and have finally made an appointment with a GI doc for October. Could I been in this much pain and discomfort from eating gluten for three days over a week ago?? I know I'll get my answers soon enough but I can't eat and it's driving me crazy.

Any help,would be greatly appreciate:)

Ultrasounds aren't going to show anything for Celiac. Unless they are looking at that upper right quadrant for gallbladder issues. 

I wouldn't think the pain would take a week to show up from gluten. At least, I've never heard of it taking that long. 

The pain on your right side. Does it feel like fullness or a golf ball under your ribs? What you decribe sounds a lot like my pain. I have an ultrasound and HIDA scan on Monday to check my gallbladder. The tentative diagnosis is that I have a malfunctioning gallbladder. My ultrasound a year ago showed no stones, but the GI doc said it could not be contracting right and cause the symptoms. I also read that some people don't make gallstones but have sludge like bile that causes problems. The only way to check for gallbladder functionality is a HIDA scan. Ultrasounds will show stones and maybe the sludge bile (depending out how good the tech and machine are) but it won't show functionality.