Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kazm

Tests Say No, Symptoms Say Yes. (Also, Dermographia)

Nearly 6 months ago I tried to improve my diet. Part of this included eating oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches on wheat, etc. Shortly after I began suffering from excess gas, to the point of pain doubling me over, and alternating C and D. I also couldn't enjoy a car ride without multiple false alarm D stops. I tried self medicating with fiber and probiotics, but I eventually ended up in Urgent Care because of the severe stabbing gas pains. They ended up doing tests, nothing showed out of the ordinary, including an IBS panel. They referred me to a gastroenterologist, who ended up telling me to seek counseling, it's all in my head.

I started to suspect Celiac Disease, so I stopped the oatmeal for a while. After a while things settled down with my stomach so in the spirit of health I gave oatmeal another try. When things got bad again I asked my doctor for a referral to another gastroenterologist. He told me I have IBS, but a Celiac Panel showed negative. Told me to change my Probiotic, and see ya in 6 months.

Being told the test was negative, I tried grains again, and of course it didn't go well. Despite the test being negative, I know to avoid oatmeal and rice. My stomach problems are manageable now.

The other issue now though that sent me here is that now I have what appears to be Demohraphia. Which I've read is strongly linked to celiac. I originally thought the "hives" were an allergic reaction to a new medicine but after stopping the medication and waiting a month, my doctor referred me to a dermatologist since she said what I've described is not how hives behave and they had lasted too long. I have to wait 2weeks to make my appt since my schedule is packed currently.

If I don't have celiac, but can't eat rice and oatmeal, what could it be? Is the apparent dermographia related? I need your experience.

Nearly 6 months ago I tried to improve my diet. Part of this included eating oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches on wheat, etc. Shortly after I began suffering from excess gas, to the point of pain doubling me over, and alternating C and D. I also couldn't enjoy a car ride without multiple false alarm D stops. I tried self medicating with fiber and probiotics, but I eventually ended up in Urgent Care because of the severe stabbing gas pains. They ended up doing tests, nothing showed out of the ordinary, including an IBS panel. They referred me to a gastroenterologist, who ended up telling me to seek counseling, it's all in my head.I started to suspect Celiac Disease, so I stopped the oatmeal for a while. After a while things settled down with my stomach so in the spirit of health I gave oatmeal another try. When things got bad again I asked my doctor for a referral to another gastroenterologist. He told me I have IBS, but a Celiac Panel showed negative. Told me to change my Probiotic, and see ya in 6 months.Being told the test was negative, I tried grains again, and of course it didn't go well. Despite the test being negative, I know to avoid oatmeal and rice. My stomach problems are manageable now.The other issue now though that sent me here is that now I have what appears to be Demohraphia. Which I've read is strongly linked to celiac. I originally thought the "hives" were an allergic reaction to a new medicine but after stopping the medication and waiting a month, my doctor referred me to a dermatologist since she said what I've described is not how hives behave and they had lasted too long. I have to wait 2weeks to make my appt since my schedule is packed currently.If I don't have celiac, but can't eat rice and oatmeal, what could it be? Is the apparent dermographia related? I need your experience.

I know that oats contain a protein similar to gluten so perhaaps that would explain the similar symptoms