Scott Adams

Do Proton Pump Inhibitors Increase Risk Of Celiac Disease? - Celiac.com

Rate this topic

Do Proton Pump Inhibitors Increase Risk of Celiac Disease?

Celiac.com

Celiac.com 10/30/2013 - Rates of celiac disease and the use of drugs to inhibit the secretion of stomach acid have both increased in recent decades. A research team recently set out to explore the association between anti-secretory medication exposure ...

View the full article

Do Proton Pump Inhibitors Increase Risk of Celiac Disease?

Celiac.com

Celiac.com 10/30/2013 - Rates of celiac disease and the use of drugs to inhibit the secretion of stomach acid have both increased in recent decades. A research team recently set out to explore the association between anti-secretory medication exposure ...

View the full article

That is one class of med that I wish wasn't so commonly prescribed.  I was put on them.  They gave me heart burn which I never felt before.  I had acid reflux but I hadn't felt it.  They made me sick to my stomach, bloated and caused other problems like weird dreams and severe migraines.  I tried perhaps all but two of them and finally refused to try any more. 

Daughter had to take one of these meds when she had gastritis following the use of an antibiotic which she couldn't tolerate.  Not really even sure that it helped her so I had her stop it as soon as the gastritis subsided. 

But...  I know many other people who swear by them.  Yes, they have migraines but they won't believe me when I tell them that these meds might be the cause.  I think they also affect bone density.  Perhaps safe to use for a couple of weeks.  Perhaps.  And I think the prescribing information even says they are not for long term use.  And yet most everyone uses them long term.

I was also put on them and had problems with them.  Stomach pain and bloating were the worst.

Interesting, eh?

Colleen