This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating

Frosty-35768

Frosty-35768 Rookie

Hello everyone!  I am new to this forum.  I have been dealing with Celiac for about a year and a half and still having a hard time.  I've been trying to do this on my own with mixed results, mostly bad... :(  So hopefully I can get a lot of good info here and from the looks of it that shouldn't be a problem. Ok, my question is does anyone ever get bloated from getting real hungry?  Like this morning for example, I got up and I was a little hungry but I am the type that has to be up for a little while before I eat.  As my hunger pains got worse and worse I notice the bloating picks up more and more.  I was just wondering what the cause of this is and what I could do to stop it.  I know what some are going to say "eat before you get real hungry", but I want to know what causes this issue bc this is not the first time.  Once I do eat something the bloating does not go away, but usually gets worse to the point I will end up getting sick.  Also, when you are trying to let your gut heal what are some good foods to eat?  I have noticed some foods that are gluten-free will still cause some bloating when my gut is raw.  Thanks for the help and hopefully I can get all of this figured out.

Jason

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Frosty!

I've never noticed a correlation between an empty stomach or a full stomach and bloating.  It has always been related to whatever I last ate... regardless of how long ago that was.  My guess is that your gut is still healing and needs some help.  Try a good probiotic - meaning one with several different strains of good bacteria.  Also, I suggest a digestive enzyme.  They help you to digest whatever you eat - and when you break it down better you're less likely to get gas and you'll also be more likely to be able to absorb more of it.

Also, are you eating foods that are likely to cause gas?  I take Bean-Zyme whenever I eat gas-producing foods like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, sausage, etc.  It helps a lot.

As far as not being able to eat solid food until you've been up for awhile - that's me too!  I started taking protein powder in the morning.  I use the French Vanilla flavor of Designer Whey and mix it in water (you can also mix it in milk).  It has 18 grams of protein, very little sugar, and is of course gluten-free.  It satisfies me without me having to eat solid food before I'm really awake.  (Beware some of the other flavors though, as they have less protein and more sugar.)

Frosty-35768 Rookie

I have never been a morning person.  even as a kid I would barely eat at breakfast just to get by until lunch.  I just do not care for breakfast.  I have a probiotic I take.  I cannot remember the name, but it's called Flora something from Wal-Greens.  It is suppose to be wheat free, dairy free and a few others and the pill has a veggie coating.  I seem to have better luck with other brands I have tried.  I just ordered a digestive supplement from a link I found on here.  Digest Gold I think it was called. I have notice this before and not just in the morning.  I have been out in the evenings and not be anywhere near food and start to get so hungry.  I will start to get a build up of gas.  Usually I can pass it and it will go away, but there are times it will get bad and I will get sick.  I have to leave for work @ 4:45am so I try to find things that are quick to eat and that is hard to do.  Hopefully once my guts heals more this will clear up.

notme Experienced

the amount of hunger i experience is directly co-related to how far away i am from safe foods lolz - if i walk outside and forget my snackbackpack, i am instantly starving!  in the beginning, i kept a food journal and i wrote down everything that passed my lips and how i felt after eating.  when i was first dx'd, it was suggested to cut out all dairy, because your damaged gut can't produce the enzyme necessary to break it down.  dairy makes me a little bloated *still* and i am 3 years plus into this.  try the food journaling - if you notice something making you bloaty, skip it.  you may be able to add it back in later, when you are healed better.  :)  welcome to the forum :)

notme Experienced

oops - almost forgot - once you're gluten-free, you may discover that you have other intolerances that weren't evident when gluten was still making you sick - topping the list:  corn & soy.  i have a secondary soy sensitivity that i was unaware of until i started feeling better off the gluten.  it mimics a gluten hit, but doesn't last as long.  i try to stay away from it whenever i can.

Frosty-35768 Rookie

thanks for y'alls help!

june27 Apprentice

I have not had this problem since I went gluten free, and it only happened a handful of times before that.  It never happened enough (or closely enough together) for me to be able to identify some sort of pattern.  Since it did happen so infrequently, I am not sure if gluten-free has fixed the issue, or if I have just been lucky.  When it did happen , it was just awful.  I don't think I ever experienced it at breakfast.  In my mind, I always thought it had something to do with being hungry and thinking I would be eating soon, so my stomach would start secreting acid.  When I didn't give it any food, it got really cranky.  [i have no idea if that is what 'really' happens, but that is the story in my mind.]  Once I would eat, I would end up with more bloating and cramps, and I'd have to lay down and wait it out until it passed.  After experiencing this once with my boyfriend (after repeatedly telling him that I needed to eat), he would always ask "how badly/soon do you need to eat" if we were trying to plan when to have dinner :)

Now that I am gluten-free, bloating is the tell-tale sign that I have been glutened.  When that happens, I will be bloated for a day (maybe more if I ingested more than small CC amounts), and will get more bloated any time I eat anything - until my insides are able to heal a bit.  

Good luck!  I am curious if anyone else has experienced this as well...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi Frosty_35768 and june27,

I have a very similar thing that happens to me. It almost always happens in the morning.

I have to eat as soon as I get up. Usually I have to eat at least 3 times between 7:30 and noon because I am so underweight.

It seems like it happens really fast.

My stomach starts secreting acid. I get cranky stomach, gas and bloating. Once I eat I have to lay down and push on my stomach and gut until I can get the gas etc to move out. it is a terrible feeling and is very exhausting. It happens to me every day at least once between 8am and noon. It also happens to me in the middle of the night. I have definitely identified that it is linked to the stomach acid. Sometimes I can stop it if I drink some water with acacia fiber. I always carry a bottle of water with acacia fiber in it when I go out so I can head it off.

Hope someone knows the way to correct this. That would be a blessing.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Frosty-35768 Rookie

the both of y'alls story sounds like the same thing I'm going through. I bet it is related to stomach acid. would be nice to find out the exact cause so we could stop it.

CynthiaSt Rookie

Hi Frosty_35768,

I am going to a naturapath. One thing he suggested that I am getting some relief with is DGL. Deglycerized licorice. It coats the stomach and esophagus so if the acid splashes up it does not burn. It is especially good to take it at night before you go to sleep. I take 1/2 of a chewable tablet 15 minutes before meals. You can take more, I have to eat so frequently I only take 1/2. You can also take it as soon as you wake up so the morning stomach acid does not burn. I also take 1 capsule of slippery elm 15 minutes before meals.

Slippery elm is a mucilage. It coats the inside of the stomach and gut with a healing gel that helps to stop the inflamation. It is good to stop the stomach acid from damaging the stomach and gut.

You can look up the healing properties of these herbs on the web.

I also make protein shakes with Organic rice protein powder. I make them up ahead of time so when I get up in the morning or am hungry I can get them quickly. I warm them up and they help me sleep at night or are soothing in the morning.

Theory:

For me I believe it goes into hypoglycemia. My theory is the body uses all of it's already low resources,dealing with the inflamation from the stomach acid.Because of that it uses up all of the sugar and a low blood sugar drop occurs. When that happens there is a problem with the cortosol levels which is why we feel so crummy after the "blood sugar fall' is over. It is called a cortosol hangover. That makes us feel sick. I get very nauseous after the "fall". That is my theory of what my body is doing.

In a post I made a few days ago Gemini explains how the stomach is looking for an enzyme from the pancreas. The gluten weakens the pancreas so it can't produce the enzyme so the stomach just keeps secreting the acid . One thing we can do is  to take digestive enzymes to correct the problem. It is very informative info from Gemini in this post."

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105499-newly-diagnosed-underweight-stomach-inflammationgas/

This is just my theory from my research and I would be interested if someone else has more into because I am just learning about this condition.

Edited to remove Rice Dream Enriched Vanilla rice milk which I now know contains gluten.

Cheerio

CynthiaST

Archived