Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Fairly new here--diagnosed with celiac before Christmas, which gave me plenty to concentrate on medically speaking.  A couple of days ago, I was also diagnosed with melanoma.  They feel they have caught it early, hopefully stage zero, and I will be having the spot on my face removed in a couple of weeks.  I know that malignancies can be more common in celiac but was assuming that meant gastrointestinal stuff.  Now I am seeing more of a link to melanoma too.  Anyone have good info on this?  Anyone else have melanoma too?  I am very fair-skinned with blue eyes and also had a lot of blistering sunburns as a child and teen.  So I have independent risk factors but am wondering how celiac factors in.

Thanks!

Hi KJblock, and Welcome to the Forum.

As you can see from my Avatar and Sig line, Melanoma has touched my life.  I have Stage 3b Metastatic Melanoma.  I remember in my early searching on the subject, I found some obscure citations of a link to Celiac, but, there is still no conclusive evidence that a link actually exists.  Don't waste any time trying to find something enlightening.  I would suggest getting copies of all of your pathology reports so you know your exact status.  You can PM me anytime if you want to discuss anything regarding Melanoma.  

Good luck on your up-coming procedure and let me know how it goes.  Best of luck.

Colleen