Rate this topic

So I saw an article about gluten-free in what used to be my local newspaper. In the article there is a recipe printed, and it has WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR!!!!

I can't believe the stupidity!!!

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20140401/NEWS/140409999/2002/LIFESTYLE

I wanted to say that too, but unfortunately I don't subscribe to the online edition so I couldn't. Wouldn't matter anyway - the article is, I guess the word is syndicated - it's in lots of newspapers all across the country.

If it's an April Fool's joke, I hope every paper that printed this gets sued. Newbies are confused enough, and I'm sure that some of them might think whole wheat flour is safe after reading this.

If you type the headline into google you will find lot's of other papers that ran this article. Maybe you can write to some of them.

I called this number, chose operator option and left a message that I thought it was a tasteless and potentially dangerous April Fools Joke.

I would urge others to do this, too. A big media company like this needs to know that it isn't funny to tell Celiacs to eat whole wheat flour. They wouldn't tell someone with a peanut allergy to eat a recipe with PB in it.

585-598-0030

I saw the icons for Facebook and Twitter on their website. I guess if you wanted to contact them online you have to go that route. I can't because I don't do either one.

Just got this response.

Hello Karen,

This article appeared on our website only, and was part of an automatic feed from our news service. It's been removed. Although the article was about varying degrees of gluten intolerance, and not necessarily about being gluten free, it is not acceptable to run only one recipe, which included wheat flour.

Jim Konrad

Jim Konrad

Executive Editor

www.norwichbulletin.com

860-425-4201

Well, at least he responded. I'm glad he removed it, but it would be better if he contacted the parent company and notified them of their tremendous blunder.

Well, at least he responded. I'm glad he removed it, but it would be better if he contacted the parent company and notified them of their tremendous blunder.

Looky at the note he just sent me:

Hi Karen,

We have already contacted More Content Now, the news service owned by our company, GateHouse Media, about the issue and have suggested they alert other publications.

Jim

Jim Konrad

Executive Editor

However, this is a big company. I still think some more phone messages couldn't hurt.

I hope this article doesn't show up on our news feed.

Edited by kareng

:)

You know, I love where I live now, but besides the seafood (and other fresh foods), the autunm leaves, and of course my friends, I believe the Bulletin is one of the things I miss the most. They are good people, and this just proves it. Jim Konrad USED to be a sportswriter for them. I'm glad he got that promotion several years ago. He is a truly decent man.

And speaking of sports:

GO UCONN!!!!!  :wub: Both the men's and the women's teams!!!!!

I just wrote to the email address you provided for the parent company (thanks) and told them they not only needed to pull the article, but to print a follow-up explaining that whole wheat flour will make anyone with celiac or NCGI very sick.