Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlessedMommy

Drying Lettuce And Other Greens For Salads

Thank you for the input, everybody. I had to chuckle, when reading through some of the posts. :)

So anyway, I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and got a salad spinner for $10 and a lettuce knife for $4. I got my farm share box and I spent probably 1/2 hour or more, washing all the stuff, cutting off any inedible parts, chopping stuff, and packing the lettuce in a bag with a paper towel.

The spinner makes washing that volume of produce so easy! Plus, the bowl of the salad spinner doubles as a salad bowl. 

With the amount of leafy greens that we eat, the salad spinner is hardly an extraneous kitchen tool, looks like it'll be getting a ton of use in our kitchen. It was so easy to put together a salad when I was able to pull the washed and cut greens and veggies out of the fridge! 

I inherited a spinner from my MIL who gave up on fresh lettuce in favor of the bagged stuff. I love it with all my heart! I can buy these lovely, fresh heads of lettuce or spinach or other greens from the farmers market, and easily wash off the dirt.

You should welcome the critters - it means that organic label is accurate!

If you're afraid of bacteria, just don't buy lettuce that's been cored. That's where a lot of E. coli comes from. They core it in the field, using contaminated knives, and the plants juices seal in the bacteria making it impossible to even wash it off.

The stuff that comes with the roots on is really good, anyhow - it's still living, sort of.