AmyNColorado

Sibo Antibiotic Treatment: Do I Change Diet Too?

Rate this topic

I'm going to start the antibiotics for SIBO this week for 10 days. From all the research I've read from Allison Siebecker and other sites, the FODMAP diet is a form of treatment as well and supplements.

For anyone who has undergone this form of treatment, did you start supplements while on antibiotics? Which ones specifically did you take? Did you start a FODMAP diet during that time or wait until after as well?

Thank you!

I was put on the FodMap diet before I was diagnosed with SIBO.  I'm now on my third round of antibiotics in the past year to treat SIBO, along with the FodMap diet.  I was ready to start the challenge phase of the diet, but it was suggested by the dietician to not start the challenge, but to stay very strict with the first phase of the diet until I finished the meds.  The FodMap diet is not bad at all once you get used to to it.  There are lots of good recipes out there.  

I agree, start FODMAP now and stick with it, even after the antibiotics. I had already limited almost all the items of FODMAP so it was easy for me, but as Gillian mentioned there are tons of great recipes out there.

Did you test positive for SIBO? The test isn't great, but if positive is helpful.

I took probiotics during the antibiotics, but the timing is important...not sure what that is, ask your doctor or the pharmacist.

Good luck to you :)