Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

mfalbo

Nervous About Peru Medical Mission Trip And Food

Rate this topic

I am going to Peru in September for a medical mission and I have been signed up for about a year to go. Since being diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with celiacs I am getting quite nervous about the food there.  As it is now I am having a hard time figuring out what foods I can eat and worried about cross contamination let alone in a country that probably has not heard of celiac disease.  Any advise for me? Should I bring bars, and if so which kind?

Thank you

How long will you be there? Is there anyone who has recently been in the same location that you could email and ask what they ate? How much can you bring with you? Are you in a big city that might have stores to get some food like fruit and cheese or yogurt or nuts?

I don't know much about food from Peru but if it's similar to other countries in South America you may be okay. In Venezuala they make arepas which are delicious and naturally gluten free. I've also seen a wide variety of breads or wraps made with tapioca flour/starch that list various South American countries as their origin. I would say to jump into researching the local cuisine and see what you can come up with. It may not be an issue at all. Then again it may be, and may take some planning. If you speak the language it will be relatively easy to communicate your needs and if you're cooking for yourself in your own kitchen it shouldn't be a problem at all.