linen53

Predisposed Ethnic Groups

Rate this topic

When I went to my doctor, she said that Asians and Indians were more predisposed to develop food allergies.  It took a long time to find anything on the internet but here it is:

It's talking about lactose intolerance but I have both lactose and gluten intolerances.  And I have read somewhere that if you have gluten intolerance you may also be lactose intolerant.

It is normal for people to make less lactase as they age, but certain races generate more lactase than others. According to a May 2002 article in the "American Family Physician," some ethnic groups have high levels of lactose intolerance including up to 100 percent of Asians and Native Americans, 60 to 80 percent of blacks and 50 to 80 percent of Latinos. Conversely, only up to 15 percent of those with northern European ancestry have symptoms of lactose intolerance.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/401472-what-ethnic-or-racial-groups-tend-to-have-more-incidence-of-lactose-intolerance/

Also found this article which is different from the one above.

Celiac can come from low sunlight heritage countries (far from
equator) like: Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada, Europe and more. When
vit D goes down due to sunlight...the immune system goes down. Celiac
may also affect people who lived at the equator who didn't eat
dairy/gluten in past heritage, but eat it now. Their bodies can't adapt
to it like: Indian, AfroAmerican, Hmong, Chinese, Mexican etc.

http://www.answers.com/Q/In_what_race_of_people_is_celiac_disease_most_found

Lactose intolerance can be caused by celiac disease, and sometimes disappears after months or years on the gluten-free diet. The villi are what make the lactase that is needed to digest lactose.  Sometimes celiac disease damage to the micro villi will cause lactose intolerance

I probably was gluten intolerant and just not showing problematic symptoms for at least the last year or maybe even two. This summer my symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks.  So yes, my lactose intolerance may have been caused by the gluten intolerance.  Thanks.

Gee, what is gluten-free?  Lol, I'm still on the "learning curve", :huh:

I was told my GI doc that celiac was common in those if Irish ancestry. My mom was right off the boat in the early 1920s. Then I read that people of Jewish ancestry were also susceptible. I was diagnosed at age 49. My three daughters (of Irish and Jewish ancestry) were diagnosed in a continuous line... 3 of 3 are celiac. Sad to say, I told them... you're doomed.

From what I've read if your ancestors did not eat wheat or grain products OR if your ancestors grew up in a sun-deprived land then most likely you have the predisposition for gluten intolerance.  And yes, I've read about the Irish and the Jewish nations.  My question for the Jewish population is the Jews were shuffled around from many European states.  So does that predispose them in the "European" category?

I'd like to hear more from members on what your take is on ethnic groups.