Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claire

Osteoporosis Anyone?

There was an observation in one of the posts today regarding Osteoporosis. It reminded me that George (Nevadan) had suggested I start a new topic on the subject.

I have osteoporosis. I do not have Celiac. I have an as yet unconfirmed diagnosis of Spinocerebellar ataxia. I have been diagnosed with Type II, Delayed Food Reactions and LGS (leaky gut syndrome). After I get the ataxia diagnosis confirmed or excluded, I will test for gluten sensitivity. I am gluten-free at the direction of neurologist and CF because of either lactose or casein reaction.

Osteoporosis is a challenge - especially if you want to avoid the nearly lethal medications prescribed to counteract it.

Let's share experiences, tips, information and questions. I know I am not alone with this issue.

I will post some tips after I see if there is any interest in this subject. Claire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There was an observation in one of the posts today regarding Osteoporosis. It reminded me that George (Nevadan) had suggested I start a new topic on the subject.

I have osteoporosis. I do not have Celiac. I have an as yet unconfirmed diagnosis of Spinocerebellar ataxia. I have been diagnosed with Type II,  Delayed Food Reactions and LGS (leaky gut syndrome). After I get the ataxia diagnosis confirmed or excluded, I will test for gluten sensitivity. I am gluten-free at the direction of neurologist and CF because of either lactose or casein reaction.

Osteoporosis is a challenge - especially if you want to avoid the nearly lethal medications prescribed to counteract it. 

Let's share experiences, tips, information and questions. I know I am not alone with this issue.

I will post some tips after I see if there is any interest in this subject.  Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Claire,

Yes, I'm definitely interested in hearing other folks' experience with osteo and gluten sensitivity(GS)/celiac disease.

I found out about gluten sensitivity/celiac disease by learning that celiac disease and osteo are often related. I was dx'ed w/ osteophorosis 5 yrs ago. I've since found out that via Enterolab that I have GS but I don't have the celiac disease genes but have a pair of GS genes (DQ1's). I would really like to find out if gluten has been the cause of my osteo, and I would like to know how much improvement others with osteo have seen after going gluten-free.

Thanks for the post.

George

OSTEO TIPS

Here are some tips for dealing with osteo - or RA:

If hands are affected - do exercise with your hands in moderately hot water. Flex all fingers together, then separately. Do any hand motions that you can think of - hands must remain under water. You can get a greater range of motion under water that allows you to do motions that would otherwise be painful.

Take 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda every morning (in water). The reason - it lowers the acidity level in your stomach. Acidity is bad for bones - affects the mineral leeching process that demineralizes bone.

Avoid acid foods. You can find books on this subjec or do an online search for them. An alkaline body is the ideal.

Avoid the plants in the nightshade family. These have inflamatory qualities. Some of these are tomatoes, peppers, white potatoes etc. With a search ou can find a full list online.

Limit meat consumption. It actually takes minerals from your bones to digest it.

Check it out.

Now you will hate me! No gluten and now I am telling you not to eat a bunch of other good things. Sorry. The truth hurts. Claire

Here is an interesting website:

Osteoporosis and Osteomalacia in Patients with Celiac Disease

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/osteopo.html

I would just like to add a comment to emphasize the importance of checking bone density, particularly if you are dx'd with celiac disease/gluten sensitivity - no matter your age or gender. Osteoporosis is one of the most common celiac disease/GS related problems. The sooner one discovers osteo, the more options there are for dealing with it. It is most definitely a silent disease with no symptoms until it's almost too late - usually the first symptom is a broken bone.

It's worth noting that 20% of the people dx'ed with osteo (for whatever cause) are males. I think it's very unfortunate that the medical profession has defined osteo as a female disease; 20% is not a small percentage.

A bone density test is a non-invasion x-ray like procedure. I realize a lot of celiac disease/GS folks are tired of doc's; however, this is one instance where it's worthwhile.

George

A bone density test is a non-invasion x-ray like procedure. I realize a lot of celiac disease/GS folks are tired of doc's; however, this is one instance where it's worthwhile.

George

I am sick of Doctors too! but going to see mine soon with a list of tests suggested by board members. Also I have been looking up 'Dowagers Hump' mine is getting really bad, and realised today after gettng my Entrolab results and spending a lot of time researching that this is a big indication of bone loss. ...

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Mum of 11yo dx celiac disease Nov 05 by biopsy