Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MPE4

Does This Need To Be Thrown Away?

I was recently diagnosed and I read online that anything plastic that is contaminated with gluten cannot be cleaned to remove all of the gluten.  However, in my kitchen I have a rice spoon, measuring spoons, melon baller, and a vegetable knife.  These are all plastic and have been in a contaminated kitchen, but none of them have been used directly on gluteny foods.  Most of it is brand new and hasn't been used at all.  Should I get rid of it or put it in the dishwasher?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You should be fine just washing them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I agree, washing them is fine.  If they were beat up and scratched deeply, I'd toss them but as long as they are in good shape, just washing them well is fine.  People tend to go a bit overboard with getting rid of dishes, etc.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter