Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmc811

Did Your Child Have Esr Tested?

My 6 yr old is still a mystery, but today we found out that his ESR came back high. Normal range is <10 and his was 38. Dr said they typically don't get too excited about it unless it's over 60 but it could be a piece to the puzzle.

So far his Celiac tests have revealed nothing but we're waiting on the DGP still.

tTg-IgA = <1 (range is <4)

EMA = normal

Serum IgA = normal

tTg-IgG = not done because total IgA was normal

I had to go to 3 different doctors to even get the DGP ordered but I really wanted an IgG test ran just in case. Anxiously awaiting those results, but curious if the ESR means anything.

Misty

Myself: tTg-IgA was 7 (>4 positive), normal total IgA, Unspecified anemia, low magnesium, really low Vitamin D, normal thyroid with no antibodies, slightly positive ANA (1:40 speckled) but confirmation panel all negative, so no explanation. No other celiac tests ordered, Endoscopy appeared normal, Biopsy showed increased lymphocytes - Marsh I. She called biopsy "equivocal" but diagnosed Celiac anyway based on high specificity of tTg test.

Son (born in 2008): Alopecia Areata, Chronic constipation, vague abdominal pain, waves of nausea that have been occurring for months with no other cause identified,always tired even though he sleeps 10+ hours per night. Behavior change. Jekyll and Hyde type tantrums that are triggered by the silliest things. Totally uncharacteristic for him. Mild asthma, ezcema, wierd skin rashes that don't appear to be DH. Slow weight gain, normal height. His weight for age percentile is dropping but slowly so doesn't concern pediatrician. His BMI, however, has dropped from 33rd percentile to the 5th in 2 years. Low red blood cell count, low-normal hemoglobin/hematocrit - not being called anemia. His number looks just like mine used to and mine have continued to get worse. Normal total Iga, Negative tTg. Result was <1 with >4 being positive. Negative EMA. Negative DGP IgA and IgG. Elevated ESR (value 38. Normal <10).

Son (born in 2011): Enamel issues on baby teeth, Keratosis pilaris, Toenail fungus since birth on both small toes. Normal total IgA, negative tTg (<1).

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think mine was odd because of the anemia caused by the Celiac. Once the intestines healed, the anemia got better and so did a lot of other odd blood tests related to anemia.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003638.htm

Join eNewsletter

I was wondering about anemia too...his hemocrit and hemoglobin are normal but his red blood cell count is low. Basically I've been told that isn't significant, but my blood work looked like that too and over time my other number fells into the anemia range. Was diagnosed with Celiac, went gluten free and for the first time my numbers are all normal after being gluten-free for 6 months.

Even prediagnosis though my ESR was normal. The pediatrician said that some kind of IBS could definitely be causing it but since its a nonspecific test only time will tell. If the DGP comes back negative she said her next suggestion would be an elimination diet starting with dairy. Thoughts on that?

Misty

Myself: tTg-IgA was 7 (>4 positive), normal total IgA, Unspecified anemia, low magnesium, really low Vitamin D, normal thyroid with no antibodies, slightly positive ANA (1:40 speckled) but confirmation panel all negative, so no explanation. No other celiac tests ordered, Endoscopy appeared normal, Biopsy showed increased lymphocytes - Marsh I. She called biopsy "equivocal" but diagnosed Celiac anyway based on high specificity of tTg test.

Son (born in 2008): Alopecia Areata, Chronic constipation, vague abdominal pain, waves of nausea that have been occurring for months with no other cause identified,always tired even though he sleeps 10+ hours per night. Behavior change. Jekyll and Hyde type tantrums that are triggered by the silliest things. Totally uncharacteristic for him. Mild asthma, ezcema, wierd skin rashes that don't appear to be DH. Slow weight gain, normal height. His weight for age percentile is dropping but slowly so doesn't concern pediatrician. His BMI, however, has dropped from 33rd percentile to the 5th in 2 years. Low red blood cell count, low-normal hemoglobin/hematocrit - not being called anemia. His number looks just like mine used to and mine have continued to get worse. Normal total Iga, Negative tTg. Result was <1 with >4 being positive. Negative EMA. Negative DGP IgA and IgG. Elevated ESR (value 38. Normal <10).

Son (born in 2011): Enamel issues on baby teeth, Keratosis pilaris, Toenail fungus since birth on both small toes. Normal total IgA, negative tTg (<1).

Join eNewsletter

DGP in and negative.

DGP-IgA Result 8 Negative <20

DGP-IgG Result 4 Negative <20

Hmmm,,,,,now not sure what to do.

Misty

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter