This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression

Libby5

Libby5 Newbie

My grandaughter was recently diagnosed wih celiac. She presented with aches and pain in her whole body so we took her to a pediatric Rhemetologist and after testing was found to have celiac. Along with the aches and pains she has been battling with bipolar at the same to the same timeline . when her pain and aches began two years ago. She has never had any pains in her stomach. She is only 12 years old and I'm I'm wondering how long does it take to recover from bipolar after starting diet? she also sees a dr who has been percribing large doses of Zoloft and ability at the time not knowing she had celiac. I don't like her on these medications and would like to know how long it would take for her to feel better and not need these meds?Please I would like to hear from as many people as possible since we are new to all of this

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

unfortunately, neurological symptoms are the last to leave  :/  when i get glutened, i am a raving lunatic <although i know now that this is a side effect of gluten so if i feel myself getting worked up about nothing, i know to remove myself until i get myself together, mentally)  the good news is:  she is young!  i'm sure if she sticks to the gluten free diet, she will heal pretty quickly (not like us old people lololz)  it's the difference of night and day, for me.  my life was so sucky before diagnosis.  every pill they could throw at me, every guess they had was wrong!  so, she may not be bi-polar at all, just running on the wrong fuel?  i'm not a doctor, but see if you notice a difference if she goes on a strict (i mean, no cheatsies, no cc)  gluten-free diet.  i know that many of us have had multiple (seemingly unrelated) symptoms clear up.  i didn't even notice i had a 'background' headache until it went away.... i must have had it for a long time for it to become the 'norm' - all those aches and pains and rashes, etc...  that'll make you depressed, ugh !  hope she does well with it :)

welcome to the forum :) 

bartfull Rising Star

First, go to the Newbie 101 thread in the coping section to learn about cross-contamination and lots more.

Also, once she starts to heal she will be absorbing things better and if she stays on Zoloft her dose should be reduced. Check to make sure that and any other meds or supplements she is on are gluten-free. It can take a long time to heal and I don't know much about depression as it applies to celiac so I don't know when or if it will lift. She should probably have her vitamin and mineral levels tested and also her thyroid. Both can contribute to depression.

Best of luck and please ask as many questions as come to mind. We're here to help. :)

Jays911 Contributor

First, don't assume her bipolar is celiac related.  But I would have her reevaluated after she has been gluten free for awhile.  As to depression, I suffered with it for years (decades, really), and it lifted almost completely for me within a week of changing my diet.  But every one is different.  Good luck.

Archived