Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

I'm just curious if anyone here has had to take immunosuppressants because of their celiac disease? If so, were you able to come off it after some time? What made the determination that your body needed to take it? Did you notice a difference?

If anyone has anything to share regarding celiac disease and immunosuppressants, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Omg finally someone!!!! YES! I have just been  prescribed  them for my celiac. My GI doctor told me it's extremely rare.

they determined I needed to take it because even after blood test, food long, simple diets, and MRIs looking for  lymphomas, my body was still producing an extremely high level of antibodies (about 27-35). I haven't started them yet, but my sister has chrons so she takes a much high does of them and tell me the side effects are worth the results (if it even works). 

Edited by Nicki Raeleen

Join eNewsletter

I looked it up and it looks very fascinating. I couldn't find much correlation between it and suppressing immune systems. Something did occur to me though ( I feel a bit silly saying it out loud), that maybe my Celia isn't the problem at all. They are putting me on the immune suppressants to make me feel well enough to do more testing. Even though my tTG, Atg, and other levels related to celiac are extremely high, maybe it might be something more serious. The Celiac was just the scapegoat. 

I have head of some non-responsive celiac patients developing other autoimmune diseases over time ( like Crhons, lupus, and cancer) witch would explain why the go to would be immune suppressors. 

Join eNewsletter