Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

1398_Days

Microwaves And Cross Contamination

Rate this topic

I've only just recently started my gluten free diet, and it's been pretty good so far. It's amazing how much better I feel! However.. I live with two people who still eat gluten. It hasn't been too big of a deal, as long as I make sure everything is clean and whatnot. The one thing that I didn't really think about though, is the microwave. I made some frozen french fries (decided to be lazy and use the microwave rather than the oven) last night and felt a bit sick afterwards and had really bad heartburn. I assumed that it was just something else I ate though.. I ended up making some more fries today (in the microwave again) and felt the same afterwards. And I've had heartburn all day today. The microwave wasn't cleaned before I used it, and I know that someone else used it that day to make pasta or something. Is it possible that it made me sick? Although, I don't usually get heartburn after eating gluten.. So it makes me think that it could be something else.. or maybe I'm just over reacting.. Help?  :unsure:

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I agree with cap6 about fries. Based on everything I read thus far, most frozen fries have gluten in them. Make sure to check the brand, if it has anything written on them and contact the seller. I started making my own fries, especially sweet potato ones. It takes a bit longer but it is worth it. One thing that has been difficult to deal with as a celiac is that we always have to have some food prepared/available since we cannot grab just anything to eat. So, that is good to keep in mind when our schedules are busy and having left overs is great.

Join eNewsletter