Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

spunky

How Do You Limit Your Iodine?

Rate this topic

I've been trying to limit iodine and I can't seem to find out exactly where we get iodine, besides iodized salt. Does anybody here know about where we would get hidden iodine in our diet? Not dealing with dh, but my daughter was diagnosed with both Hashimotos Dusase and Graves Disease last spring. She is in her mid-30s and has been both gluten free and diary free for many years. We are looking for better answers in dealing with these conditions than what the doctors are doing, and decided it might be worth trying low iodine, but from looking this up on the net, I'm not sure where we get excess iodine, I read that countries that iodize their salt soon get hit with cases of autoimmune thyroid diseases...so I'm thinking cut out any excess and see if we can get her under better control. Just having trouble knowing where we are getting the iodine from if we don't use iodized salt.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

someone told me (so, this is not presented as a scientific fact) (it might have been on this forum) that ibuprofen contains iodine.  so, in the beginning, i was avoiding it until my skin cleared up.  now, i don't have the headaches i used to have or that lovely joint pain, so i probably take 2 per year.  and then my scalp will break out, so i figure it is that...?   or, whatever is making me have a headache bad enough to take a pain reliever makes my scalp break out, lolz...  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

http://www.thyca.org/pap-fol/lowiodinediet/

When I was doing low iodine I researched like mad. These are the other things I found that had higher iodine content:

The skin of potatoes

Greens - ie: mustard, collard, turnip

asparagus

spinach

the skin of peanuts

raisins

carrageenan or it's other names -- they are all sea algae/seaweed/kelp

beans sich as kidney, pinto

Those are all I recall right now besides what Is listed on thyca.org

The thing is that there is iodine in the soil & plants take up a certain amount of iodine -- different plants, different uptake rates. AND different areas of the country, even different soils contain differing amounts of iodine. My soil may contain a good deal more than my next door neighbors soil.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

You're welcome.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter