Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Lauretta65

Stomach cramps

Rate this topic

Lauretta65 entered the room    
Lauretta65    Hi my 9 year old daughter was dx a yr ago with celiac disease. She was always complaining of tummy pain upset stomach and constipation. She has been gluten free for about a yr now. Her levels have dropped greatly but are not neg yet. She is still complaining of stomach pain cramping and nausea. I have tried to figure out what is causing the pain and I think it might be dairy related. Is this common with celiac and does any have any advice. thank    10:24 PM

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!  It can take a long while for celiac antibodies to go down.  One of the contributing factors is that the learning curve is steep when you go gluten free.  Have you looked at hidden sources of gluten?  Cross contamination?  What is going on at school? How often do you eat out?  I encourage you to read our Newbie 101 section.  You might find it helpful.  

Milk?  When the tips of the intestinal villi get damaged the enzymes to digest milk sugars (lactose) can not be released.  You can try going dairy free to see if it helps.  Once healed many celiacs (like me) can safely digest milk.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for your response. I will defiantly check out the newbie section. I do think of the cross contamination. We do not eat out for that reason and she brings her own lunch to school everyday. I have to take her for a Lactose breathing test on Monday. I hope I can get to the bottom of this. I feel so bad that she has so much discomfort all the time. The other concern of mine is that she has been taken miralax for about 5 yrs now. I wonder if that is giving her the cramps. If I stop that she has a big constipation problem. 

Join eNewsletter