Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Wildflower Morning

Symptoms after healing

Rate this topic

I've heard Alessio Fasano allude several times to the prolonged length of time it can take for someone to start having symptoms again after they've completely healed and then been exposed to gluten.  He seems to imply that it can take months (and several glutenings) for someone to start showing reactions again once they've completely healed.  In Gluten Freedom he talks about a teenage boy who goes back to eating gluten for an extended period of time and has no symptoms (the damage is only eventually found on his blood work).  He mentions this again (although the interviewer implies this is *not* what he's saying) in this interview: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gluten-free/2014/05/12/dr-alessio-fasano-center-for-celiac-research-the-gluten-free-voice-with-jules  There's also the example of the "Banana Babies" cited in Dr. Peter Green's book about children who were diagnosed celiac as young children then declared "healed" and told to resume eating gluten.  These children displayed few to no symptoms until (in most cases) middle age.   This seems to go against what most celiacs experience (increasingly dramatic symptoms the longer they stay off gluten).  Any insights?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think symptoms change over time.  Before I was diagnosed I had some great years with no big problems.  Other years I was having major health issues.  I think it varies.

My glutening symptoms are not worse than they used to be.  They may be a bit more noticeable because I'm no longer so used to being sick, but my symptoms are definitely not worse.

It's an individual thing.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter