Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Zachm

Does anyone else take Prozac/Fluoxetine?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Last Wednesday I went to my doctor and told him of my complications and talked things over and anyways got started on this. The first few days I got diarrhea from it, heard its a possible side effect, but I honestly have no appetite and could easily forget to eat from just not being hungry, sound familiar? Another thing, and please dont take it as being perverted, but theres definitely been a problem down "there" that was never a problem before...? I am only a 21 year old guy so wouldnt expect THAT type of problem yet?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I am not a doctor, but have had a lot of personal experience with antidepressants and I work in mental health. 

These are typical side effects from Prozac. Often, the diarrhea and lack of appetite go away eventually. The sexual side effects tend to be more of a lasting problem. If you can, give it some time. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for antidepressants to take full effect and for your body to fully adjust. If you decide you don't want to deal with the sexual side effects, talk to your doctor about the possibility of taking Wellbutrin. It is known for having significantly fewer sexual side effects. However, people do report more of a loss of appetite when on it. 

I hope this helps and that you begin to feel better soon! Take care!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, monkeyloaf said:

First of all, I am not a doctor, but have had a lot of personal experience with antidepressants and I work in mental health. 

These are typical side effects from Prozac. Often, the diarrhea and lack of appetite go away eventually. The sexual side effects tend to be more of a lasting problem. If you can, give it some time. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for antidepressants to take full effect and for your body to fully adjust. If you decide you don't want to deal with the sexual side effects, talk to your doctor about the possibility of taking Wellbutrin. It is known for having significantly fewer sexual side effects. However, people do report more of a loss of appetite when on it. 

I hope this helps and that you begin to feel better soon! Take care!

Thanks for the advice! Sex definitely isnt everything and if this medication helps, that part can be managed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Black Hole of allopathic medicine.  Prozac is infamous for turning guys into "its".  Why?  Like most Big Pharma solutions, it is incompatible with the body's chemistry.  If you think you are getting depressed, I suggest you find a doc who knows how to do comprehensive thyroid testing (preferably the full TSH/FT3/FT4/rT3/TPOAb/TGAb panel).  Docs invariably "forget" that it's pretty much impossible to be depressed if your thyroid system is functioning well.  They also forget that our industrial society and bad foods are poisoning thyroid glands everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, etbtbfs said:

Welcome to the Black Hole of allopathic medicine.  Prozac is infamous for turning guys into "its".  Why?  Like most Big Pharma solutions, it is incompatible with the body's chemistry.  If you think you are getting depressed, I suggest you find a doc who knows how to do comprehensive thyroid testing (preferably the full TSH/FT3/FT4/rT3/TPOAb/TGAb panel).  Docs invariably "forget" that it's pretty much impossible to be depressed if your thyroid system is functioning well.  They also forget that our industrial society and bad foods are poisoning thyroid glands everywhere.

I actually went in wanting to try the serotonin type therapy because I know of a guy who was like me until he took serotonin and the doctor gave me this. I am on day 8 and last night I was up all night feeling like I was going to puke and I honestly havent had an appetite since day 1. Definitely want my "ability" back and I am so close to stopping the pill because the thing that was supposed to get my stomach to act up less is making it act up more. Anyone have any experience with like the GNC "serotonin" pills? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been taking fluoxetine for the past couple of years - I got very lucky that for me, it overall reduced the stomach issues that I was still dealing with due to celiac (now I only get diarrhea sometimes instead of constantly, ha). I also dealt with the sexual side effects, which were really upsetting to me at first (if you're feeling depressed, you definitely don't want to lose a part of life that makes you happy!). But I stuck it out and found that it gradually faded, and I felt totally back to normal within a few months. Everyone is different though, and dealing with side effects sucks. But depression also sucks, and for me celiac and glutenings threw my brain chemistry so far out of whack that starting fluoxetine made a big difference for me, once it settled in. My doctors generally told me to give a new med a month minimum before making a judgement, unless the side effects were truly awful. 

There's a ton of conflicting advice out there, and everyone's reactions to different drugs vary. So I think the best I can offer is try to be patient if you can - even though spending a month at a time of you life dealing with side effects and a new med is ridiculous : ( - and see what works for you. It really is hard to tell how a med works for you/what side effects will stick around after just a week or two, unfortunately. I was reluctant to give anti-depressants a try, largely because I was so worried about side effects, but I'm so glad that I stuck it out long enough to discover it actually worked really well for me. 

Good luck, and hope you feel better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, upsilamba said:

I've been taking fluoxetine for the past couple of years - I got very lucky that for me, it overall reduced the stomach issues that I was still dealing with due to celiac (now I only get diarrhea sometimes instead of constantly, ha). I also dealt with the sexual side effects, which were really upsetting to me at first (if you're feeling depressed, you definitely don't want to lose a part of life that makes you happy!). But I stuck it out and found that it gradually faded, and I felt totally back to normal within a few months. Everyone is different though, and dealing with side effects sucks. But depression also sucks, and for me celiac and glutenings threw my brain chemistry so far out of whack that starting fluoxetine made a big difference for me, once it settled in. My doctors generally told me to give a new med a month minimum before making a judgement, unless the side effects were truly awful. 

There's a ton of conflicting advice out there, and everyone's reactions to different drugs vary. So I think the best I can offer is try to be patient if you can - even though spending a month at a time of you life dealing with side effects and a new med is ridiculous : ( - and see what works for you. It really is hard to tell how a med works for you/what side effects will stick around after just a week or two, unfortunately. I was reluctant to give anti-depressants a try, largely because I was so worried about side effects, but I'm so glad that I stuck it out long enough to discover it actually worked really well for me. 

Good luck, and hope you feel better!

I am very glad it worked out for you! For the time being, I just decided to stop and try other methods. I have only had the blood test that made the doctor believed I had celiac, so it still isnt definitive. One thing though, I asked the doctor why he thought I had it and he said, I think, it was because of high antibodies? Cant high antibodies be a sign of thyroid problems? My sister, mom, and grandmother all have thyroid problem (sister and grandmother are both medicated for it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...