This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First GI Doctor visit

Spencer88

Spencer88 Apprentice

Hi all! Back in August of 2016 I started experiencing some crazy symptoms mostly started with fatigue and worked its way up to anxiety attacks along with moments in which I felt like my blood pressure was super low. I ended up going to my primary care doctor and he ran several tests. My white cell count was elevated, my liver numbers were 63 and 150ish (elevated liver enzymes). He also had tests run for Celiac and a Hepatitis Panel. Hep panel came back 100% negative however I tested positive for Celiac. I received these results on October the 4th. My primary care doctor refured me to a GI doctor. That visit is on November the 9th. 

I was wondering if anyone could give me some good questions I should be asking or if I should ask about more specific testing with my GI doctor? I know they will be looking at my liver for sure. Has anyone else experienced elevated liver enzymes due to Celiac? Can that damage be reverted easily to get those numbers back to normal? 

Thank you for the support! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hopefully your doctor told you NOT to go gluten free until after you saw the GI doctor. You do need to be actively eating gluten if the GI wants to do an endoscopy.

As to the liver enzymes many celiacs have these elevated before diagnosis. They will likely go down without any treatment after you have been gluten free for a bit. Try not to worry too much about it. As to the question of having a drink or two on your birthday it shouldn't do any harm but do ask your GI about it when you see the doctor.

ironictruth Proficient

TTG can come back positive with other diseases, including liver disease. Not to scare you, it is probably celiac. I have read it happens to a lot of celiacs. Do you know what tests were run?

They will do a biopsy. Maybe an abdominal ultrasound as well. 

My BP dropped as well randomly. I caught it by buying a monitor and checking. I would get episodes of feeling horrendous and my heartrate would be like, 50. BP 80/40's. Then it would spike and return to normal. Not super low, but low for an anxious person. My doc's office said it was anxiety attacks (not likely with a heartrate of 50). Sugar commonly drops in folks not absorbing as well. I would immediately eat during these episodes. We are still trying to figure it all out. 

Any problems with gallbladder or common bile ducts? Abdominal pain?

I hope you get a good GI! Keep us posted!

Spencer88 Apprentice

Hi all! Thanks again for responding in on this topic. 

Sorry for the delay, been trying to find time to update this. 

I visited my GI doctor who I think is great! she was very thorough and let me ask a lot of questions. Of course she asked me many questions. I answered all of them to the best of my ability. She did mention how she wanted to do a biopsy but that it would be up to me if I really wanted to follow through with that. She said that the only benefit of doing a biopsy is just knowing 100% whether or not I have celiac. She did mention that she wasn't 100% positive herself that I have celiac. She wants to run a series of other tests to see how my liver is doing. 

I did receive a ultrasound of my entire abdominal cavity back and front. That came back all good from the radiologist. 

My GI wants to run these tests: 

-Alpha-1-Antitrypsin blood

-Ana Blood Screen W/Reflex Titer 

-Ceruloplasmin 

-Iron + TIBC Panel 

-Metanephrines Urine Fractionated 

-Vitamin D 1,25 Dihydroxy 

-Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy 

In order to do one of these tests I have to be admitted into the hospital into the IV Therapy department. One of the tests takes about an hour and requires that I have zero distractions in the room, no cell phone, no tv. Is all this normal protocol? Is my GI trying to rule out other possibilities? Did anyone else have these types of test run? 

Thank you guys! 

Spencer

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Stephanie Thompson
    Newest Member
    Stephanie Thompson
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Zackery Brian
      I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing with your health. Dealing with celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can indeed be overwhelming. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions based on your experience and the replies you've received: Confirming Diagnosis: It's great that your gastroenterologist confirmed your celiac disease diagnosis through additional tests. Understanding the specifics of your condition can help tailor your approach to managing it more effectively. Food Sensitivity Testing: While blood tests for food sensitivities can provide some insights, they may not always be completely accurate. As mentioned by others, false positives are common, and individual responses to specific foods can vary. Discussing your test results and symptoms with a healthcare professional knowledgeable about celiac disease and food sensitivities can help clarify your situation. Research and Education: Exploring conditions like Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) and histamine intolerance could shed further light on your symptoms and provide additional avenues for managing your health. Gathering information from reliable sources and discussing your findings with your healthcare team can help you make informed decisions about your care. Dietary Management: Managing celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can be challenging, but finding a balance that works for you is crucial. Working with a dietitian who specializes in celiac disease and food intolerances can help you develop a personalized dietary plan that meets your nutritional needs while minimizing symptoms. Stress Management: Chronic pain and health issues can take a toll on mental and emotional well-being. Finding healthy coping strategies to manage stress, such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, or engaging in activities you enjoy, may help improve your overall quality of life. Remember, you're not alone in your journey, and seeking support from healthcare professionals, support groups, or online communities can provide valuable encouragement and guidance.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard of celiac disease but began to notice a pattern of pain. I've been on the floor more than once with agonising pain but this was always put down to another abdominal problem consequently I've been on a roundabout of backwards and forwards with another consultant for many years. I originally questioned this diagnosis but was assured it was the reason for my pain. Many years later the consultant gave up and I had a new GP. I started to cut out certain food types ,reading packets then really started to cut out wheat and went lactose free. After a month I reintroduced these in one meal and ended screaming in agony the tearing and bloating pain. With this info and a swollen lymph node in my neck I went back to the GP.  I have a referral now . I have also found out that acidic food is causing the terrible pain . My thoughts are this is irritating any ulcers. I'm hoping that after a decade the outlook isn't all bad. My blood test came back with a high marker but I didn't catch what it was. My GP and I have agreed that I won't go back on wheat just for the test due to the pain , my swollen lymph node and blood test results.  Trying to remain calm for the referral and perhaps needed to be more forceful all those years ago but I'm not assertive and consultants can be overwhelming. Many thanks for your reply . Wishing you all the best.
    • Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.
    • knitty kitty
      @Shireen32,  Take some deep breaths.  Your labs are fine!  Your tTg IgA is so low!  Well done!  Your endomysial IgA is fine.  There's not a level on the endomysial test.  It's just "yes or no" for if you have celiac disease.   No, it's too early to call it refractory. What are you eating?  Please tell us more than meat and veg. Do you consume dairy? Do you consume processed gluten free foods?   Are you taking any prescription medications, herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals?