Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Gunnar

Upper left rib pain

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac almost 3 months ago I have been completely gluten free since then. For the past 6 months or so I have been having occasional stabbing left rib pain and I feel better since going on the gluten free diet. But I still feel like I'm in a bit of a "fog". Prior to the celiac diagnosis I experienced red blood in my stool multiple times. I've been told the blood in the stool was just a coincidence along with celiac disease. They thought maybe a hemmeroid. But my question is could the blood and the left rib pain somehow be connected with a deeper issue? Has anyone else experienced anything along these lines? Please share your thoughts on what it could be/what I should do? Since the gluten free diet I haven't experienced any blood in stool. 

Well, we are not doctors and we can not diagnose you in the internet.  What I can say is that your symptoms are common with celiac disease.  I normally get a pinching pain where my actual stomach is when I accidentally get exposed to gluten.   You should should follow-up with your GI at six months and get your antibodies retested ( the doctor looks for a downward trend).  This will insure that you are healing.  It is a good time for your GI to check for deficiencies too.  Here is more to back me up:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

It takes most celiac patients a year or more to heal and resolve issues (celiac disease can affect several body systems).  Not to mention mastering the gluten-free diet!  So, be patient, that fog will soon lift!  

Edited by cyclinglady
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gunnar said:

For the past 6 months or so I have been having occasional stabbing left rib pain and I feel better since going on the gluten free diet. But I still feel like I'm in a bit of a "fog". Prior to the celiac diagnosis I experienced red blood in my stool multiple times.

Hi Gunnar and welcome :)

I got stabbing chest pains in the left side of my chest for many years and underwent cardio investigation and multiple ecgs etc. They stopped when I went gluten free, but not immediately and I have had occasional twinges since then, which I attribute to cross contamination or mini glutenings. I think it was a form of heartburn, perhaps complicated by a hiatal hernia. 

Whilst you could well have identified the cause, chest pains are serious and you should in no way make assumptions which stop you seeking medical assistance. Being celiac does not make you invulnerable to other conditions so exercise due care and caution when self diagnosing. Speak to your doctor!

I had bloody stools and I believe this was associated with haemmoroids which improved after the diet change. 

I also had brain fog. This lifted after going gluten free but although I could tell a difference very quickly it didn't fully lift for quite a long time and some of the neuro symptoms persisted a bit longer than others also. 

At 3 months in you're still in early days, plenty of healing to come as long as you're strict on the diet and eat well to help quicken the healing process. Check out this thread for advice on that as its very easy to slip up and you won't fully recover unless you're eradicating all the gluten from your life:

Best of luck to you, you've found a good site and supportive community here!

This sounds familiar. Does the pain feel like its actually in your ribs, sore when you press on it? It could be costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilage between your ribs. It seems to be one of those weird things that tends to affect celiacs, could be a symptom of glutening or brought on by something else. I had a bad case of it a few months after going gluten free. Started as just a weird ache, and one morning it felt like I was being stabbed. Spent all day in emergency while they ruled out heart issues. Anti-inflamatories helped and it went away after a few days. Never came back that bad again.

It could also just be heartburn-type symptoms triggered by gluten. I would see a doctor though, because you want to rule out whether its your heart or something.

You're still early in your healing process, so not only are you probably not an expert at the gluten-free diet yet, but your body is readjusting to the new reality and doing all kinds of weird stuff. Hopefully this will resolve soon and not be a regular occurrence. It would only have a connection to your bowel issues in that it could be yet another fun affect of Celiac disease.

Good luck and feel better soon!