Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
dalek100

Endoscopy and Food

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am deeply sorry for posting on here again. As I am scheduled for an Endoscopy on the 9th May, I wanted to make sure that my gluten intake is being kept the same. I was wondering if the ingredients to these products contain gluten even though dextrose is in one of them?

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-32-breaded-chicken-nuggets-448g/p/52275

Chicken Breast Fillet (60%), Water, Wheat Flour, Breadcrumbs (Wheat Flour, Dextrose, Salt, Yeast), Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, White Pepper, Dried Sage.

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-10-breaded-chicken-burgers-550g/p/52276

Chicken Breast Fillet (60%), Water, Wheat Flour, Breadcrumbs (Wheat Flour, Dextrose, Salt, Yeast), Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, White Pepper, Dried Sage.

Thank you for all your help so far,

Yes the first has wheat gluten in the ingredients, the second via the wheat flour.

Here in the UK manufacturers HAVE to highlight gluten sources. Check the ingredients and if WHEAT, BARLEY, or RYE are mentioned *usually highlighted, italicised or underlined, then you will know there's gluten.

Most of iceland's processed foods will probably be gluten filled to be honest. Any breadcrumbed or battered foods for instance. 

Ps, you and me both have another disease, the british one of apologising :P You don't need to, you're very welcome here and all of your questions are valid and understandable. It's going to get better :)

Hi Dalek,

JMG has it right, any food with wheat, rye or barley is a gluten containing food.  In addition, watch out for malt, which is sometimes made from barley.  That includes the malt in beers. :(

Thank you for all your help with this. 

I was also wondering if I could ask and hope you don't mind, will they be able to tell Celiac on the camera or will it be down to the biopsies they take? My endoscopy is on the 9th, and I am worried about not having enough gluten to show.

The gi may be able to see some signs of celiac visually but the chances are you will have to wait a couple of weeks for the biopsies before there's any confirmation. The damage to the villi is too small to detect with naked eye I think.

as long as your eating some gluten each day you will have done all you can for a diagnosis. Not long now so go ahead and treat yourself to a nice cheesecake, fish and chips etc. :)