Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

AmandaD

Anxiety and Celiac and Meds

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found no amount of meds helped with the anxiety, depressions, or any of the mental issues. Seems they were caused by malabsorbtion of certain nutrients/and gluten reactions. I found supplementing with magnesium and taking Liquid Health Stress & Energy and Liquid Health Neurological Support helped more so with this. I also consume a diet high in nuts, seeds, fats and protein and low carbs/zero grains. These has attributed to a really happy go lucky positive outlook at everything. I just roll with life more so now then lock up with anxiety/panic attacks like I used to. Also CBD oil in a vape pen for emergencies but I have not had to use it in months.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

SSri's always made me worse.  They're quite effective for many that take them but the didn't agree with me at all.  I have PTSD and I take Alprazolam when things get very bad.  I don't need it every day though. If you need something on a daily basis it might not be good since it is quite addictive. Talk therapy and excercise can be very helpful depending on what is causing the anxiety.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I was on 3 different anti-depressants for years as was told I was depressive bi-polar.  One years after going g.f. I woke up one morning and  just felt, good!  I slowly, very slowly, worked my way off of all meds and have been off now for 4 years..  My doctor felt that my depression was gluten caused and once my body started to heal everything else fell into place. I am not saying that would be everyone, or work for everyone, this is just my experience and always worth checking out! 

Join eNewsletter

On 5/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, cap6 said:

I was on 3 different anti-depressants for years as was told I was depressive bi-polar.  One years after going g.f. I woke up one morning and  just felt, good!  I slowly, very slowly, worked my way off of all meds and have been off now for 4 years..  My doctor felt that my depression was gluten caused and once my body started to heal everything else fell into place. I am not saying that would be everyone, or work for everyone, this is just my experience and always worth checking out! 

My question is, how long does it take for the anxiety to fade? My anxiety is out of this world. It's horrendous. I have health anxiety and it's real, and it's bad. I thought going gluten-free would help me and I think it's actually gotten worse. But I don't think that's from being gluten-free. I think having an AI disorder panicked me. I've been on the diet 6 months and it's going well for the most part, but like I said, the anxiety is no better. Does that just take a really long time?

Join eNewsletter

30 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

My question is, how long does it take for the anxiety to fade? My anxiety is out of this world. It's horrendous. I have health anxiety and it's real, and it's bad. I thought going gluten-free would help me and I think it's actually gotten worse. But I don't think that's from being gluten-free. I think having an AI disorder panicked me. I've been on the diet 6 months and it's going well for the most part, but like I said, the anxiety is no better. Does that just take a really long time?

Try Liquid Health Stress & Energy...also try eating hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and if you can I suggest a vape pen with CBD oil for emergencies....I find ti works great.  The seeds help you with tryptophan and serotonin. HUGE help with stress. I suggest buying from mygerbs.com  for allergen friendly ones....PS most other hemp seeds have CC issues. Walking and music on noise canceling headphones also help.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

For the poster with anxiety - Lexapro paired with a small dose of Buspar has been the only combo that has worked for me recently. I have had biopsy diagnosed celiac for about 12 years and no amount of gluten free food or supplements have helped.

Amanda

Positive TTG 9/05

Positive endoscopy 9/05

Doing well with "Sprue"

Join eNewsletter

There is no "standard" time line.  Everyone is so very different.  Age, degree of illness, surrounding factors of life, it all counts.  You do your very best, read suggestions and take from that what you feel would work for you! 

Join eNewsletter