This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very random and unexpected

LookingforAnswers15

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi,

I have been trying to get other tests done but it takes forever to get an appointment or get the results. So, I decided to concentrate on things that I can control and I did an allergy test on different types of food/Ingredients. Things that I already suspected (i.e., tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, all kinds of sugar and sweeteners, all kinds of cheese, etc) came back as the ones I need to either stop for three months or completely stop eating them. However, I was shocked when it also showed that I needed to avoid for three months or forever the following things:

-tap water -  This is a HUGE SURPRISE (did not know even one can be allergic to this. It said that I was not allergic to bottled water and mineral water.

-bananas, mangos, pineapples,lemons, oranges, grapes, pears, avocados, walnuts, almonds,  hazelnuts, mushrooms, pistachio, tuna, blueberries, kiwi, strawberries, watermelon, melons, apples, figs, spinach, dates,etc. - food that I love to eat. However, some of these things I have not had in over three months because they are either seasonal fruits/ veggies or nuts, which I could not find declared gluten-free (e.g. watermelon, dates, melon, blueberries, pistachio, almonds, hazelnuts, figs), so this makes me think that I probably won't be able to eat them since I have not had them already for over three months but still tested high on allergies.

-wine (I assume because of grapes)

-green tea - no clue

-coffee, chocolate, honey - honey was also a shocker. I use it instead of white sugar to sweeten my tea and lemonade

- lentils, rice

DID ANYONE ELSE GOT A TEST SHOWING THEM THAT THEY ARE ALLERGIC TO TAP WATER? I need to find a nutritionist because i feel like that if this test is accurate (I did it in a private lab/clinic), I cannot eat many things. Any recommendations?Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That is a very odd test.  Wouldn't it say what it was in tap water you are supposedly allergic to?  Like Flouride?  I would be wary of these results.  Food allergy testing is a bit iffy, even with an MD.  

Open Original Shared Link

knitty kitty Grand Master

Hi!   I agree with Kareng, that it's probably something in the water like fluoride or chlorine.  Some bottled water is just another city's tap water bottled.  

I dislike lugging those heavy plastic bottles home, so I use a distiller.  It boils tap water, condensing the steam into clean, clear water and catching it in a reservoir.  All the nasty, previously dissolved stuff stays in the boiler and gets scrubbed out.  Here, look....

The foods that you listed are all high histamine foods or foods that liberate histamine.  You might want to try the Autoimmune Paleo diet (AIP).  I have had great results with it.  

Mast Cells produce histamine to destroy allergens.  Sometimes they seem to go overboard (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome) and react to seemingly everything.  Going on a low histamine foods eating plan like the AIP diet may allow your system time to calm down.  Once the histamine levels go down, you may be able to add some of those foods back.

Also make sure you don't have any vitamin deficiencies.  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  The B Complex vitamins are often low, as is Vitamin D.

Vitamin D deficiency is linked to mast cell activation syndrome.  Vitamin D sort of turns off the mast cell reaction.  My vitamin D level was very low, but once my level increased, I saw improvements.  

Hope this helps!

emma6 Enthusiast

an allergy test for tap water sounds quite suspicious, i've never seen any type of water listed as part of a food allergy test panel. i can't imagine how that is possible to test for, sounds like it would be a extremely rare allergy also doesn't tap water vary depending where you are. do you have a reaction to drinking water? what are your symptoms when you eat those foods?

if it was an IgE allergy test, i believe the blood test more commonly has false positives than the skin scratch test but false positives are very common for both thats why there is usually a disclaimer saying that it may not be nesscessary to cut out all positive results especially if you have no allergic reaction after eating it. you allergist may be able to offer you some kind of allergen immunotherapy or a dietician referral.

if you had the IgA/IgG food intolerance/ sensitivity testing, the same type of testing that is promoted a lot on instagram, it is not scientifically accurate. the positive results just indicate food you have been exposed too which are then wrongly interpreted as meaning they are allergies. so i definitely wouldn't make any significant diet chances based those results. other than an elimination diet there is no accurate testing for food intolerances although it would be great if there was. its possible that you could coincidently be intolerant or allergic to some those positive foods or you may have no problem with them.

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Thank you all!!! I really appreciate your advice. I called the lab and they said I could not drink the tap water because of chlorine. I am looking into getting a distiller. It is also very likely that the vitamin B12 and D are low. I am doing my best to take the vitamins but sometimes I skip them. I need to be better about it. 

I have actually planned on trying the AIP diet. Thank you for explaining about histamine levels. This further motivates me to try. Thank you!

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I also have a serious water problem. I have not been tested in any way but I my allergist said that there are no safe chemical testing for allergies. I get anaphylaxis from chemicals and have an epipen. Chlorine is a problem for me. When I drink tap water I feel like I have the flu and I got shingles when I tried Pur filtered tap water. We do not have floride in our water. But probably sulphur and more. I was drinking distilled (called dead water for lack of minerals) but I saw a video in my area where someone tested the pH of tap and bottled waters. I got some PH  strips and did so too. I was curious because I have a problem with citric acid causing bladder infections. Well my distilled was highly acidic. I can not drink bottled waters that add vitamins or magnesium. I get severe cramping from magnesium, like 12 to 24 hours of it, even supplements and leafy green veggies. I found Crystal Geiser is a clean spring water that tested base. I carry a list of others in my purse. I feel better already. Good luck, I can relate.

Victoria1234 Experienced
2 hours ago, pikakegirl said:

I also have a serious water problem. I have not been tested in any way but I my allergist said that there are no safe chemical testing for allergies. I get anaphylaxis from chemicals and have an epipen. Chlorine is a problem for me. When I drink tap water I feel like I have the flu and I got shingles when I tried Pur filtered tap water. We do not have floride in our water. But probably sulphur and more. I was drinking distilled (called dead water for lack of minerals) but I saw a video in my area where someone tested the pH of tap and bottled waters. I got some PH  strips and did so too. I was curious because I have a problem with citric acid causing bladder infections. Well my distilled was highly acidic. I can not drink bottled waters that add vitamins or magnesium. I get severe cramping from magnesium, like 12 to 24 hours of it, even supplements and leafy green veggies. I found Crystal Geiser is a clean spring water that tested base. I carry a list of others in my purse. I feel better already. Good luck, I can relate.

I thought acids like lemon juice and cranberry juice helped flush the bacteria out of the body, thus lessening bladder and kidney infections? At least that's what my pcp told me when I used to get a few per year?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
pikakegirl Enthusiast
On 5/22/2017 at 11:32 AM, Victoria1234 said:

I thought acids like lemon juice and cranberry juice helped flush the bacteria out of the body, thus lessening bladder and kidney infections? At least that's what my pcp told me when I used to get a few per year?

Yes I know that advice and may be true for many people but I have always had bladder spasms from cranberry juice and as a baby diaper rash from Orange juice. Seems from birth my ph has been acidic. I only recently have had bladder infections triggered by citric acid. Found that d-mannose once a day in my water stopped them. It keeps the bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall.

Jmg Mentor
On 5/22/2017 at 4:32 AM, LookingforAnswers15 said:

DID ANYONE ELSE GOT A TEST SHOWING THEM THAT THEY ARE ALLERGIC TO TAP WATER? I need to find a nutritionist because i feel like that if this test is accurate (I did it in a private lab/clinic), I cannot eat many things. Any recommendations?Thank you!

Can you post the name of the lab where you had this test? Maybe a quick google will reveal what their criteria is and what level of hard science is underpinning those suggestions?

Archived