Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
Guelphgluten91

Gluten free stool related

Rate this topic

Hi there, I've been on a gluten free diet for about 6 weeks now, as my doctor thinks I might be celiac (runs wild in my family, won't know until the biopsy though) anyway for the last few weeks I've noticed seed like spots in my stools. Sometimes only a couple, but more recently quite a bit throughout. I have taken a stool test and an currently waiting on the results, but I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this when they went gluten free? I eat relatively healthy, am not a big drinker, no smoking or drugs. I have been constipated too, but I feel that's from the lack of fiber (which I'm working on) anyway the seed like spots are the main concern. Thanks! 

Not sure about the stools, but....why are you gluten free before your endoscopy? You need to be eating gluten for , I think, twelve weeks beforehand. You don't want to miss out on your diagnosis because of that. From what people say, the longer off gluten, the more difficult it is to go back on gluten as the body reacts more extremely, at least for some. 

• Upvote 1

I went gluten-free because I'm tired of feeling like carp/having to run to the bathroom, but know that I'll have to eat gluten for an accurate biopsy test. 

20 minutes ago, Guelphgluten91 said:

I went gluten-free because I'm tired of feeling like carp/having to run to the bathroom, but know that I'll have to eat gluten for an accurate biopsy test. 

Whew, glad you knew that already. When is your endoscopy? And glad you are feeling better!

That's the question! I heard an 8 month wait, but I need it bumped up due to travel plans. Its been a struggle.but this whole stool thing is freaking me out a bit

Define spots? Like Bloody spots, just darker patches, or perhaps undigested foods? If undigested food I would suggest digestive enzymes, if blood it would depend on if dried dark tar blood or bright red as this would determine how far up it is and from there probably a colonoscopy to to find out where and what. What is your current diet?

BTW it is very easy to have a high fiber diet on a gluten-free meal plan I get 50-70g of fiber a day on average myself. I eat mostly seeds, and nuts though with a little bit of greens every meal. Along with a ton of protein powder and egg whites.